6-pin Push To Choke Ignition

TMS4659

Cadet
I have a 2001 Tracker with a 50 hp Mercury. I tried fireing it up this spring and no fire at all, and no gauges activate. I want to replace the ignition switch but I'm a little confused with the wires. I am replaceing the 6-pin Push to Choke with a Cole Hersee 6-pin Push to Choke.

The Wires I have are:
-Red with Black stripe
-Yellow with Black stripe
-Yellow with Red stripe
-Purple
-1 Black spliced with 1 Black with Black Stripe
-3 Blacks spliced together
-2 Purples from gauges

The marking on my replacement switch are: C(choke) B(battery) M(magneto) I(ignition solenoid) M(magneto return/ground??) S(start)

Can you help me out and tell me which wires go where, and what does the pin marked Start do??

THANKS!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6-pin Push To Choke Ignition

The "S" terminal is the wire that energizes the starter solenoid when you turn the key to START. The diagram below is as close as I can get at the moment. What makes you think the ignition switch is the problem? Just because nothing works does not mean the switch is bad. Shot gunning a problem gets expensive. Start at the battery. Is it fully charged. Are the terminals shiny clean and tight and connected correctly. Is the fuse at the engine ok (does the tilt & trim work)? If not that fuse is probably blown. Do the simple stuff first before you start spending money on things that don't need to be replaced.

OutboardIgnitionSwitch.jpg

TMS4659

Cadet

yeah the trim works, but only at the switch on the motor, not at the switch by the helm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I suspect you have a main engine harness problem. Try disconnecting the big harness plug at the engine. Check the condition carefully and clean both the male and female terminals. Connect and disconnect the plug a couple times to sort of burnish the terminals. Then retry.