will 2 transom mount fish finders work?

fishjefffish

Cadet
I have a jon boat with one fishfinder mounted on the back with a transom transducer on it. Can I mount another transom transducer on the back for a fish finder to be used in the front? Will there be any problems with this?
Jeff

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: will 2 transom mount fish finders work?

I had a hummingbird for the cockpit and a lowrance for the steering station ona 22 footer, transducers were mounted on oposite sides of the boat. you could not run them at the same time, if you did all you got was garbage on the screens

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If they are both the same frequency they will not work at the same time.
On a 19 foot bass boat I have spent a lot of time on with one transducer in the stern and a second one on the bow mounted trolling motor you can run both in shallow water. At about 30 feet and deeper then they interfeer with other and neither will work.

Shizzy

Ensign

are you going to be running a bow mount trolling motor? you could mount one of the transducers on the trolling motor.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Possibly. You will have to test them. I normally would have said no, but after running my HB 797 (transom) and HB 400TX (bow) on a 14' boat and only occasionally got slight interferance, even in deep 50+ fow. These units operate at the same 200kHz and 455kHz frequencies. I was surprised.

Alternative, if they are compatable units (same brand/model) is to have one transducer and a switch. HB has the accessories, but would expect Eagle/Lowrance have similiar. I believe Lowrance has network set-ups that allow seeing the same data on more than one display.

What units? Maybe someone has specific experience with your brand/models.

fishjefffish

Cadet

They are both transom mount. I don't know how to put one on the bow/trolling motor up front.

One is a hummingbird and the other is a Cuda.

Thoughts?
Jeff

Shizzy

Ensign

They are both transom mount. I don't know how to put one on the bow/trolling motor up front.

One is a hummingbird and the other is a Cuda.

Thoughts?
Jeff

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&hasJS=true

keep in mind if you put the transducer on the transom of the boat and you are looking at the finder on the bow you have that many feet you have already covered before you see it on the screen.

fishjefffish

Cadet

How would I put a transom mount on the trolling motor? Any advise?

Shizzy

Ensign

look at my post above. I included a link. its just a bracket to attach your transducer to the bottom of the trolling motor. they are available all over the place.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...and two different fish finders can be used at the same time if different frequencies are used. Some alluded above to interference but generally I don't think it is a problem when using two dif frequencies.

gss036

Commander

I run 2 different ones on my 23 ft. One is for a Humminingbird, the other is an old one , don't remember the name but I run them both with out any interference. I have had some interference when getting too close to a boat that is probably running one cloe to like mine. Seperate and they work fine.

fishjefffish

Cadet

Thanks everybody. I think I will get a trolling motor mount like shizzy suggested. Appreciate all the help.
Jeff

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Trolling motor mount can only be used at slow speed and if you pull the motor out to go faster it is not going to work and if you leave the trolling motor down you risk binding the shaft.I would try to use the same transducer for both unit.or get another one for the front with deferent frequency

Shizzy

Ensign

Trolling motor mount can only be used at slow speed and if you pull the motor out to go faster it is not going to work and if you leave the trolling motor down you risk binding the shaft.I would try to use the same transducer for both unit.or get another one for the front with deferent frequency

most times the front finder is only used when you are fishing. one is placed in view when you are operating the boat and the other is up front for when you are casting.

John_S

Rear Admiral

If it is a "typical" unmodified jon boat, he might be trying to have a display for the guy in the back, and one for for the guy in front. If only one person, there will not be a problem with interferance. Just turn off the one not being viewed. ;)

If this is set-up like a bass boat with a front casting deck than Shizzy is right. It is not safe to be in a front pedistal seat while on plane.

fishjefffish

Cadet

Thanks everybody. I will use the 2nd one on the front trolling motor at still or very slow speed. I use the back one at high speed with the t/m out. thanks for all the advise. VERY USEFUL.
Jeff