Inexpensive fish finders

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day to all
Confusion, confusion.
I have been looking to get a reasonable priced fish finder that works good in shallow lakes and rivers. We do not have very many deep lakes where I live, mostly dams or man made lakes. (Calgary, Alberta)
My wants or hope too's are:
1- under $300 or very close too it
2- temp
3- speed
Thats it unless there is something else I need !/?

My experience with a fishfinder is basicaly zero but my confusion is almost 100%.
Any help for a cheap fisherman like myself would as always be appreciated.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inexpensive fish finders

I have a Hummingbird 535 that I am happy with , although I should have gotten something with a wider cone angle , as I fish water under 50' mostly .
It also does not display speed , but that is not an important feature for me .

MY requirements are in this order (yours may differ ..) :
1) Locate structure and differences in bottom composition .
2) Show baitfish in relation to strucure .
3) Depth , of course ..
4) Water temp ( FIRST priority for crappie season ...) .

Speed may be important when trolling , but you can get a GPS seperately that will give you your speed . Not an issue for me , as I rarely troll , and then at very low speeds only .

Ultimately , your decision will boil down to what water depth you routinely fish , and , how you fish .

Some one else is sure to chime in with more specific info , and quite likely will have better recomendations for your local waters .

John_S

Rear Admiral

FWIW: The HB 535, like many HB's, can add a speed sensor (paddle wheel), which is about $40 accessory.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Humminbird 565 has the specs many units have, that cost twice as much.

The 500 series Humminbirds would be what I would go with on a budget.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I'll second a hummingbird unit with the add on temp/speed sensor. I had one ( Wide Eye) on my last boat for 13 years and the temp and speed function work very well. Everything from the 535 on up looks pretty nice. As for cone angle, it's value really depends on how deep you normally fish. If your routinely fishing very shallow water, these units, regardless of cone width, are much better at defining bottom structure (where fish will hold) vs. finding actual individual fish.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have been using the same sonar since 1994 or '95. No temp and no speed, but it sure has helped me catch a lot of fish, especially in recent years. Sure, it shows bottom composition and structure, but it marks fish well in the manual sonar mode (fish ID turned off). It's black-and-white, and has a 100 vertical pixel count!

Basically what I am saying is "don't be confused." Almost anything you buy these days is going to be three or four times as good as my unit when you consider resolution (pixel count) alone, never mind better graphic response and software. Just buy one that has the features you want and you will be fine for years to come.

For $500 you can by one with GPS which displays surface speed and location. Most of those have surface temp as well. Just a thought. $300 will buy you a nice one with the features you are looking for though.

Turkeyflacx2

Cadet

I was in the same boat per say a while back. Once I saw how great a color screen looked in the sun I was sold. Black and white screens are difficult to see in direct sunlight but not the color screens. I went and bought a Humminbird 787Ci GPS unit. It kindve overkill for the depths I fish but I know I have the power and a duel beem cone incase I ever go alot deeper.