Bow and stern lights don't work

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 89 skeeter bass boat 110 johnson.All electronics are working except bow,stern lights and the front and starboard rear tilt switches for the motor.Put new bulbs in lights still no go.Checked fuse box all are good.Not sure what to do from here,any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks John..........

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Bow and stern lights don't work

somewhere, the power is interrupted. could be a simple as corroded lamp sockets for the lamps. test the wires leading to the lamp and see if it has power. on the socket, if no go, then go to the wires themselves. if no go. follow the wires back to the next connection. probably the switch. find the power wire that feeds the switch and give it a test with your vom or test lamp. if you find power to the switch, but no power to the lamp circuit, the switch is suspect. you could test the switch to see if it works with you vom in the continuity mode. ohms. if you are testing for continuity, don't power it up, isolate it even when checking for continuity. if the switch works, keep moving backwards. next item may be the fuse. see if there's power going to the fuse on the in side. if so, see if there's power on the other side. through the fuse. if not the fuse holder could be suspect. any corrosion in the fuse holder? if still no power keep on going further back towards the power source. eventually, you'll find some place that has power in, but no power out. this will be your where your issue lies at..
hope that made sense. i'm no wizz at electricity. but feel i can trouble shoot a simple lamp circuit.. off hand, i'd think something common to both lamps would be suspect. like the switch, since both lamps don't work. but it could be as simple as two corroded lamp sockets right where ya put the lamp at... good luck..

another thought, i've seen fuses that look good, but aren't. try at least two different fuses. you can continuity check them too.

and another after thought. ground is common to both lamps. be sure the ground is good...

Last edited:

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I'd start with a multimeter or 12v test light at the back of the switch. Neg lead to a known good ground. One terminal on the back of the switch should be hot whether switch is on or off. If not start working back toward fuse box.

If one is hot at the back of the switch then more should become hot when switch is turned on. If not, bad switch.

If one is hot at the back of the switch and more become hot when switch is turned on then start working toward lights.

Running light circuit is usually more complex than other circuits due to multiple switches, but, at the least, if you determine if power is getting to the switch and if power is passing through the switch, you'll know which direction from the switch to start working toward.

Another thought. Light problems are often corroded grounds. As ziggy brought up, check for continunity from neg leads at the socket back to a known good ground or the neg post on the battery.

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys i will try your suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks very much John....