what vhf radio&antenna to buy?

jellynuts69

Cadet
i,m fishing on lake erie in michigan,wondering what a good setup is no handhelds please,just looking to listen to weather alerts while i,m out thanks for the help:)

sebago_kid

Seaman
Re: what vhf radio&antenna to buy?

I just bought a standard horizon vhf, and now need an antenna, as well. I like the gps transmitting feature of the satndard horizon, which others have as well... It connects to my gps/fishfinder combo unit, and can transmit my coordinates with a radio transmission. It also has an emergency button that acts like a beacon, transmitting my location with a distress tone.
seems like a nice, rugged unit, but I do need an antenna.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I like the shakespheres 5225-XT.
It is 8 foot and 6db gain,
When I changed to this antenna on my boat I received almost twice as many stations. I have talked over 80 miles to the Coast Guard Station in San Francisco.

jellynuts69

Cadet

what brand radio should i get like i said mainly just going to be used for listning to weather alerts:)

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

As mentioned, Icom or standard horizon are solid names, as is uniden. Make sure you get one that has 25w capabilities.

Shakespeare makes good antennas, be sure to match up the ferrule with the mount bracket you are using, ie stainless steel bracket for metal ferrule or nylon for nylon (then again, dont get nylon).

waterinthefuel

Commander

This is a very open question.

It doesn't matter what kind you get, any of the big names are very good. If you don't have room or a good place to mount it, you don't need an 8' antenna. I have an 8' in the house an a 3' on the boat and I can't pick up much more with the 8' than with the 3, and the 3 is a rock solid antenna good for any wave action I might encounter. The 8' would break off since my boat can whip side to side very fast.

ziggy

Admiral

i used to get this kinda magazine that tested products independently. maybe 4 or 5 of the same kinda product. they had a article about antennas. i only remember that the shakesphere 5225 came out on top by quit a bit in performance. kinda pricey though... my self, i don't have a 5225, i've got some lower grade shakesphere. but i wish i had the 5225..
if price is an issue. spend more on a good antenna than the radio..
8 footers seem to be the best all around antenna generally speaking.
mount any antenna as high as possible...

go look at some antenna web sites. shackesphere i think has some hip info..