Furuno 582L Interference when boat moves.

w2much

Lieutenant
I have a 1996 21' Striper CC with a 1995 150 Evinrude.I have freinds with the same boat . I mounted my transducer according to the installation manual and where the others guys had theirs mounted. I ran my transducer cable on the opposite side of the wiring harness and wiring to avoid interference. I even insulated it with pipe insulation. My furuno has excellent readouts when the boat is still or the engine idles. As soon as I throttle up even a little my screen goes to hell with interference. I have the noise suppresser ceramic things in line as the installation manual instructs. Whether I move my transducer up or down as suggested in the manual I still get the interference when underway. I don't think turbulence is the issue as I have my transducer mounted where every one has theirs. It is not at a strake, flow appears clean. I hate to drill more holes and move it. Any suggestions? Thanks

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Furuno 582L Interference when boat moves.

How do you have it instaled? does the power come streat from the battery with an inline fuse?if yes I would try to install it with a second battery

w2much

Lieutenant

Not being sarcastic but what would be the difference? I ask because I do not know. I just checked, I have it wired to the fuse board with its own inline fuse in addition the the fuse on the board.

Last edited:

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Will I think if you wire it directly to the battery with an aniline fuse should fix it.I think the reason would be that in the panel you have all the wiring for the hole boat and one of them is what cause the interference maybe silver tip would tell us why:)

w2much

Lieutenant

I have recently added a second battery. I will follow your advice, easy enough. I hope that does it. Any other suggestions appreciated . Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have the same unit. Running it with a B60 thru hull transducer. Not the slightest bit of turbulence or interference from 0-WOT.

Little test. Put the transducer in a bag of water and throw it in the bilge. If you still get noise it's the motor.

What type of plugs are you running?

w2much

Lieutenant

Kandil and Dingbat thanks for your replies. I am running NGK R BPR 7HS plugs. I am guessing the R means resister, I am not certain. I have a second battery which will only run the Furuno, I have taken the wiring off the fuse board straight to the batt. I have an airmar P66 transucer transom mounted. Hope to use the boat this weekend. Will post on the results. Will the same bag trick work overboard or in the transom drain area instead of in the bilge? My transducer cable is wound up and insulated and will not have enough slack to bring into the bilge area. Again thanks for your replies.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You can not use the bag trick overboard. The idea is to eliminate the possibly of turbulence causing the problem.

FWIW: That motor isn't particularly fond of NKG plugs. It will run better on Champions

jhebert

Ensign

It seems to me that you could differentiate the interference source by running the motor at higher speed while it was in neutral. This would be simpler than moving the transducer.

Many Evinrude motors are recommended to use the Champion QL series plugs. I believe that those plugs have inductive elements to suppress radio frequency interference.

w2much

Lieutenant

Problem solved. Just got back. Furuno worked excellent for the first time.Beautiful day on the water, finder was clear at all speeds. I will be changing the plugs ASAP. Must have been the direct to battery wiring.Lesson to be shared, Don't run your fishfinder power to the fuse board or any other power supply except the battery. I also realize that my old finder had no other problems but me. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Glade to hear it happy boatting:)