Moeller fuel tank sending unit has my gauge peg'd.

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Moeller fuel tank. model FT6203-R4.
http://www.moellermarine.com/oem/fuel_tanks
My fuel gauge on my boat now says full all the time when I know it's not the case. I run normally about 1/2 a day and come back always with my fuel half full, but the need shows "full". I took of the wire that goes to the fuel gauge and the gauge immediately shows empty. So I know the gauge is working fine. I connect the wire from the tank again and it gets peg'd once more. I'm thinking the ohm sensor opened. In their website it says my tank is 14.56" high. Should I just get a universal 2 wire sending unit and replace it? Should I look for one that is like 13" long so I know I have a reserve if it gets near empty?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Moeller fuel tank sending unit has my gauge peg'd.

The sender is showing a dead short to ground if it pegs the gauge. A new sender is in order.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Moeller fuel tank sending unit has my gauge peg'd.

Using an ohm meter, measure the resistance while you move the float arm up and down. The reading should vary between 33 and 240 ohms (give or take a little). If you have a constant short the sender is toast. if it reads infinity (open) anywhere along the float arm travel the sender is toast. The sender may be twisted in some way creating the short.