Standard/Horizon CMP23 RAM mike cable failure

GTBecker

Cadet
I've found an unusual coiled mike cable failure on my CMP23W RAM mike, which has been used only a few times in four years and has only seen very indirect sunlight. The cable sheath plastic weakens and becomes oddly soft but brittle over time, and cracks right at the junction between the cable and its strain reliefs at each end, even _inside_ the connector where no flexing can occur. See the photo.

This cable carries eight conductors, one of them shielded. Each of the wires except the main shield drain is truly tiny, maybe #32AWG, and will likely stretch and break at the first use after the sheath fails. Repairing this seems impractical since the entire cable length is brittle (and the cable is glued inside the mike body with some excellent, difficult to remove goop). The mike is now discontinued and no replacement cable is available, I am told. Alas. I'm looking at Raymarine's thick cables with more admiration today.

FYI.

dscn5711.jpg

Tom

GTBecker

Cadet
Re: Standard/Horizon CMP23 RAM mike cable failure

Corrected followup: Vertex Standard Horizon does, in fact, rebuild these mikes for $40 plus shipping.

Tom