Electrical Problems re: 89 Cobra fish & ski w/125 Force

John-H

Recruit
Just bought the boat (1st time boat owner). Took it out a few times and everything was runnuning superb. The last time we went out I noticed that the depth finder, tach, & fuel gauge were not functioning. When troubleshooting I found out that all the mini bulbs to my gauges were burned out (I replaced them and they now light up). I checked all visable fuses and fuseable links that I could find (including all under the dash and any fuses in and around the batteries etc.). I also checked and found that 12V seems to be running up to each of the gauges according to my volt meter when I turn the key switch to the ON position but none of them are working. The anchor, nav lights and horn still work as well as the engine of course. Could they be blown and need replacing or should I be looking for another fuseable link somewhere else? I find it odd that they all worked fine and then suddenly they don't. Not having a functional gas gauge is an uncomfortable feeling!

rndn

Commander
Re: Electrical Problems re: 89 Cobra fish & ski w/125 Force

What do you figure caused all of the mini bulbs to blow? Maybe the same thing that blew your other items feeding off of the same line.

John-H

Recruit

Good point and your probably right. I suspect I need to do a lot more wire chasing. I was thinking about running a 12V charge directly to the depth/fish finder and see if that would make it light up again, not sure if that would screw it up for good or not. When it comes to electrical I find myself quite challenged and frustrated. I will be taking the boat in for winterizing and let them figure it out if I'm not able to solve the problem...heck what are the kid's college fund for anyways!!??

rndn

Commander

You will be fine to hook the FF directly up to the battery making sure you are using the inline fuse that should be attached to the FF wiring anyway. I hear trade schools are quite good these days anyway.

rndn

Commander

I didn't notice this was your first post at the iboats.com forum, so
Welcome to the forum!!:):)

John-H

Recruit

Thanks RNDN! Yes it's the first time here posting at this forum and thanks for the response it's much appreciated! I will have to try going 12V direct and will use an in-line fuse before doing so just in case...BOOM AND/OR FRAZZLE! Ha ha, yes trade schools are doing most well up here north of the 49th parallel.

l_d250b4506ca4309fc214b8aa5f228992