Question about Eagle Fish Easy fish/depth finder?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to everyone,
I have a question about my Eagle Fish Easy depth/fish finder. I bought it used and thought I had a bad Transducer becuase it would act flaky and shut off on me when I was moving in the water but come on when I stopped. Also, I just put a new Transducer part# HST-WSU and it works fine when it is at a stand still but when I am moving in the water it changes to like 600 feet which I know the water isn't that deep maybe 26 feet at the most and I am talking about Carlyle Lake in Illinois. This depth/fish finder is on a 20 Foot Pontoon Boat mounted to the toon bracket that is the transducer on the back toon mounting bracket. What would cause the fish finder to act up when there is movement on the water and cause it to read really deep and sometimes it might shutoff on me until I stop and it comes back on by pushing the power button to on on the Fish/depth finder? Do I need to adjust the transducer to be below the bottom toon becuase right now it is even with the bottom toon and pretty level. Let me know Bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about Eagle Fish Easy fish/depth finder?

You either have the transducer mounted too loosely so it pivots up under way or it is not in a clean water (as in no turbulence) at the back of the pontoon. Transducers cannot operate properly if there are air bubbles passing over it. You may have it mounted too high. It needs to be in the water whether at speed or stopped.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Second problem. Shutting off when underweigh.

Check your voltage. I think it will shut off if the voltage goes too low or too high.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It will shut off due to over/under voltage but since it is flashing and displaying invalid numbers, power is not the issue. The transducer is the issue and most likely its the mounting.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

mounted too deep is not much better than too shallow. My experience, 'ducer loose in the bracket makes it lose track of the bottom, usually they'll flash the last known depth when that happens, until it either reacquires the bottom, or you reboot. If the digital depth display is ok but you lose bottom contours, the face of your 'ducer might have got scratched.

power loss pretty much has to be either an internal fault, or over/under voltage protection circuit kicking in, or intermittent wiring fault. Check your inline fuse holder for corrosion.

ssmith7

Recruit

I was wondering if you discovered what was wrong with your unit. My unit has started doing the same thing. Last year when Eagle unit was installed it worked fine. This year after being in storage for the winter the transducer is giving intermitsnt readings on the depth when in motion (sometimes even when still). Only difference that I can think of is that I changed the prop. That could explain when in motion, but it doesn't explain it not working properly when sitting still. Transducer hasn't moved location and is level.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Try cleaning the transducer with a non abrasive cleaner like awesome. You two guys have different issues. The first issue is not deep enough and level with pontoon. When under motion the transducer is losing the bottom signal from tilting up.The second issue I believe is the transducer has a scum on it. Clean it with a non abrasive cleaner like awesome or Mr Green. Hey Guys been on Carlyle Lake many times. Camped every State Park and Army Corp Campground on the lake one time or another. I miss catching the white fish. Great eating. We lived seven years in Centralia. Bolder Creek, Carlyle, Carlyle Dam Group Campground, Hazlet State Park were some of our favorites. Losing the signal or flashing is power interruption check your wiring connections real closely. something is either lose or shorted out.

Tact

Recruit

I also have a FishEasy 2 and the first time I took my boat out this year my fish finder would not register a depth, it just showed a blinking 0.0. It displayed the temp. fine, just the depth would not register. I actually don't know how to test it being in the garage, but I suspect my transducer has gone bad.

There is no scum or dirt on the transducer, not scratched up, and it too is level. It's not a power issue as the fish finder powers up fine and it will operate in the demo function fine. Any other ideas before I go buy a new unit???

scoobymac

Recruit

I also have a FishEasy 2 and the first time I took my boat out this year my fish finder would not register a depth, it just showed a blinking 0.0. It displayed the temp. fine, just the depth would not register. I actually don't know how to test it being in the garage, but I suspect my transducer has gone bad.

There is no scum or dirt on the transducer, not scratched up, and it too is level. It's not a power issue as the fish finder powers up fine and it will operate in the demo function fine. Any other ideas before I go buy a new unit???

What colour plug do you have as the connection for the transducer is it Black or grey if it is the black type then the transducer is availble as a spare part under part number 90-73 around ?61.00 GBP EX Vat what country are you in and i will try and get someone close to you to help. Is the transducer clicking when you turn the unit on just put it to your ear if you do not hear a ticking then we suggest your transducer is faulty.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can also feel the pulsing if you touch the bottom of the transducer.

Tact

Recruit

You can feel and hear the transducer clicking.

I believe the plug is grey. Two wire going into one plug.

If the transducer is bad it doesn't make sense to buy a transducer because the cost is probably half as much as a whole new finder which comes with the transducer.

scoobymac

Recruit

I suggest you send an email to sales.uk@navico.com they will be able to arrange to get you to send the unit back for testing and if indeed the unit or transducer is found to be faulty they will be able to offer you a replacement unit or a replacement transducer which ever is found to be faulty.
If your unit is found to be faulty they will be able to offer to you the latest unit which is now replacing the Fisheasy which is now the New Mark-5X which would come complete with a new transducer.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I'm wondering how one can find "clean water (as in no turbulence)" or if there are "air bubbles" present behind a pontoon or behind any fast moving boat for that matter. There seems to be an abundance of suggestions to avoid such, but no one can seem to explain how.

Fed

Commander

Here's how I do it Capt'n, I figure all the bubbles under the hull are trying to get to the surface so they naturally head for the chines of the boat.

I position the transducer as close to the keel as possible without it obstructing the clean water flow to the prop, then look under the boat for any strakes that may interfere with the chosen location and bolt it on.

By convention I always go for the starboard side but I don't think it makes a lot of difference.

Looking from behind the boat I make sure that the left hand edge of the transducer is just below the hull which puts the right hand edge a good half an inch below the hull on an average Vee boat.

I then tilt the trailing edge of the transducer down to about 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the front edge, this tilt is often limited by the notches in the transducer bracket and any shims that may come with the transducer.

Bigt62097

Recruit

Ok guys I have a Eagle fisheasy 2 depth finder and I can't get it to come on I have tried cleaning the pins and everything else I have a "hot" battery the backlight comes on but the unit itself won't come on no matter how long I hold the power button it worked ok the last time I had it out and now nothing. Any help please.