Chart Plotter

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It was advised that I buy and install a chart plotter, I don't boat so I need some help, Bad! My son and neighbor fish lake St. clair, and just last night the Sheriff stoped them for a normal check. all was well everything was good to go and up to date. But after the check it was advised to install a chart plotter (to be safe). I looked at price's list night and the wife called 911- only kidding so my question is three part A. Can a guy buy a good used one, B. what is a good one C. How do I find a used one- not hot, fresh off the boat next door, if you know what I'm talking about. So far you guy's have been on the mark with everything,so any info you can give me is great Thanks

rndn

Commander
Re: Chart Plotter

The issue with used ones are that they are old which is why the original owner needed to update. I don't kow why a sherrif would suggest to buy a chartplotter?? I know the lake is big but I boated for years on Lake Ontario with only a compass. I would go out 10-12 miles, fish all day and then head in using a compass. Head out going north and return heading south. Don't get me wrong, chartplotters are nice, but I would never consider them required equipment in fresh water lakes.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I have fished the west coast of Florida for many years and have used Loran and GPS systems since they were available. There are many portable, inexpensive battery operated gps system available that can be taken with you and will direct you back to your original waypoint without having to buy and mount a Lowrance, Hummingbird, etc. I just recently replaced two older units on my boat with a new Eagle Fishelite 500c that I bid on Ebay and got for $345. It was new in the box, but a year old. It did have a warranty. I still don't understand why the sheriff would indicate they had to have one :confused:

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was a must have item, but rather, just it case . My son is a young a 14 and the the old man is 82, so to be safe I was looking into the option of mounting one "Just in case". Can anyone tell me a better way to go??? be nice now.

tommays

Admiral

I love my 5" color plotter BUT my 1995 129.00 dollar GPS allways points the way home ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Get a cheap hand held unit. Should be able to get one for under $100