What size nuts for battery terminals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size nuts for battery terminals?

Hey guys, I have an Optima Blue Marine battery on my boat, and I want to use regular nuts on the terminals.

What size nuts will I need?

The Optima batteries don't have two different size posts for the + and -, like other batteries do, at least I don't believe so, they seem to be the same diameter and thread on this battery.

Either way I want to replace the wingnuts with ny-lock nuts, as the wingnuts tend to come loose over time. So just wondering if anybody knew the size off hand.

Thanks.

Re: What size nuts for battery terminals?

Take the wing nuts with you. Lowes, Home Depot etc, have a metric and SAE try-out panel. See which one fits and buy what you need.

Comment

Thanks Silvertip. Didn't know that Lowes or Home Depot had that, I've never seen it in there, then again I never looked for it.

Sounds easy enough, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Lowes has a an entire aisle of specialty hardware in drawers and bins as you walk in the door. There is a panel somewhere along that aisle with bolts and nuts mounted in a panel that you can try for size. If you can't find it, go to the bins with bolts. Find a bolt that fits the wing nut. Then buy that size nut. Simple huh?

Comment

This may sound paranoid, but I bring a magnet (usually from the tool dept.) with me when I buy stainless at HD or lowes. I always double check that the stainless in the bins is actually stainless. Its not that I don't trust the employees, but when you are stocking 20,000 little baggies of nuts and bolts, its not very hard to put one in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
          X