Galvanic Isolator wiring

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Installed shore power in 1986 SunRunner I'm refurbishing. All the equipment came from my previous boat, which was scrapped due to a collapsed keel, but that's another story. Anyway, this time I added a Promariner galvanic isolator. Wired up AC circuits without any problems. Read on internet sites that ouput lead of isolator should be connected both to AC ground circuit panel (which was done with no problem) and to the boat's DC ground bussbar or engine block. The questions I have are: What size wire should I use between the galvanic isolator and the DC bussbar? Is #12 heavy enough or should I go heavier. (AC circuits are wired with #12-3 marine flex cable). What color wire should I use to be safe? I was thinking green because that's the AC ground color and is basically not used for anything DC on the boat. I vetoed black because, even though it's DC ground color, it's also AC positive color and I didn't want any black wires directly connected to the galvanic isolator to avoid any futre confusion. Suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance. Hy

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Galvanic Isolator wiring

12 would be fine. You are pretty much talking about only stray currents here.

shoe2

Recruit
Any idea where I can get a owners manual, having problems rewiring the panel with switches, pulling my hair out. I have a 1986 Sunrunner.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Shoe

If you've not already done so, please take some time to read our rules (link in my sig line below).
2. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

​You'll want to do some reading around the forums: owner's manuals wouldn't cover your wiring diagrams.