Navman 2100

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am having a real problem with my NavMan 2100 Fuel Flow management system. I purchased it about a year ago, installed it and used it. Now I am having problems and contacted North Star (they bought out NavMan) and thus far they will not answer any inquires.

My problem is the unit; which can be set to up date at any rate from 1 to 99 seconds has gone nuts. I had it set up to up date at 30 second intervals. Now it updates at 3 seconds. I reset the update interval to 60 seconds and it up dates at 6 seconds. I tried 99 seconds and it up dates at 10 seconds. Also the fuel per hour rate is double what it should be.

Has any ever had this problem? Is there a way to zero out the display to restore normal operation.

North Star does not seem to care, maybe someone in the real boating world can help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Navman 2100

So the clock seems to be off by a factor of 10 and the fuel flow rate is off by a factor of 2 which seems odd. Is there some other electronics in the vicinity of the gauge that might be interfering? Try turning everything off (pull the fuse if you have to) so only the flow meter is running. If it now acts normal, you have some interference issues. I wouldn't think a locator or radio would not bother but stranger things have happened. My walleye boat has a Navman 2100 and it has worked well. It sat right under an Eagle locator and just above the radio so there was no problem with that installation. I did have a transducer go bad but they replaced it no questions asked and I didn't have to return the old one. I found Northstar very cooperative.

You might also check the transducer mounting as it must not vibrate and it must be installed vertically -- not layed over on its side. I bolted a straight aluminum plate about 1-1/4 inches wide to a bulkhead and then used a hose clamp to secure the transducer to the plate. I wrapped a piece of bicycle innertube around the transducer so the hose clamp was not in direct contact with the transducer shell. And don't over tighten it so you distort the case. There is a very tiny turbine while in the transducer. If it can't spin free it will not operate properly.

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, nothing has changed. The installation is the same as before the problem occured. The NavMan has proven to be a very functional tool and has really helped me in my travels. Nothing new was installed nor removed. To me the most upsetting thing is the total lack of assistance from Northstar. I can not even get a reply to any and all emails to their tech support. It is if they do care. They got my money and that is all they care about.

Anyway, is there a way to zero out the system and start from there?

I cruise up and down the ICW for work, and live aboard eight month a year. with fuel cost raising the only way I can make ends meet is to keep track of my fuel useage. I have found that between 25 and 50 RPM can really make a difference on a full day of cruising.

I have all but given up on North Star, and right now; with the total lack of tech support, ready to rip the entire system out and float test it. There are other system out there with proper support to choise from.

One thing I have discovered is that boater, serious boater take care of each other, almost like family.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don’t have any experience with Northstar but as an account representative for a company that utilizes e-mail support services I can tell you straight up that e-mail is used all too often as the easy way out.

There is no replacement for the personal contact a phone interaction brings to a conversation. Your best bet is to get on the phone and talk directly with a support person. I'm willing to bet that they would be more than happy to help you solve your problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree -- every company gets flooded with e-mail and the bulk of those are simply nonsense questions that can generally be answered by reading the literature so customer service organizations tend to ignore or filter most of the e-mail they get. Pick up the phone, be respectful, and I'll bet you get results. If that doesn't work go up a level.