How to test a onboard charger??

Barkley40

Cadet
I have a onboard charger that has I believe 3 banks. One says main, the other 2 say Aux 1 and Aux 2. The other end of the charger has 4 post. One
set of posts says 12 volt and the other set says 24 volt. All four post read output. First how do I test the charger to see what it is putting out if anything at all and which end do I hook the batteries to??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to test a onboard charger??

I'm not familiar with that particular charger but I think we can figure this out. Plug it in and using a voltmeter, measure the output between POS and NEG leads of each of the three outputs. Is there a fuse in each of the three POS leads? Unloaded (no battery) they will likely read in the 16 - 18 Volt range. That says it's working. The terminals on the on the other end are possibly intended to serve as jumper terminals so that the Aux 1 and Aux 2 outputs can provide 12 volts parallel or 24 volts series. It would help if you gave us a manufacturer and model number as well as posting a picture of the charger. Take a good look at the end with the four outputs. If there are any lines (solid or dotted) (not wires) on the unit that run between these connections please explain them fully or better yet take pictures. If you have no need for 24 volts, the batteries get connected on the other end and there should be no connections on the other four OUTPUT terminals.

Barkley40

Cadet

I have pics but they are to large to upload on this site. I can email them to anyone if I can have your email address.

Thanks

Barkley40

Cadet

PICT0073.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072-2.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

I hope this will lead anyone to my pics for help on hooking-up or checking to see if it works.

ebry710

Ensign

I'm not familiar with that particular charger but I think we can figure this out. Plug it in and using a voltmeter, measure the output between POS and NEG leads of each of the three outputs. Is there a fuse in each of the three POS leads? Unloaded (no battery) they will likely read in the 16 - 18 Volt range. That says it's working. The terminals on the on the other end are possibly intended to serve as jumper terminals so that the Aux 1 and Aux 2 outputs can provide 12 volts parallel or 24 volts series. It would help if you gave us a manufacturer and model number as well as posting a picture of the charger. Take a good look at the end with the four outputs. If there are any lines (solid or dotted) (not wires) on the unit that run between these connections please explain them fully or better yet take pictures. If you have no need for 24 volts, the batteries get connected on the other end and there should be no connections on the other four OUTPUT terminals.

It looks like a triple battery charger with a pair of inverters. As Silver tips suggest, plug in unit to 120 volt source and independently check the three charges and the pair of inverters. The inverters may either be 12 volts each or one may be 12 volts and the other 24 volts. Your meter should tell you that.