• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

How to test a onboard charger??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test a onboard charger??

I have a onboard charger that has I believe 3 banks. One says main, the other 2 say Aux 1 and Aux 2. The other end of the charger has 4 post. One
    set of posts says 12 volt and the other set says 24 volt. All four post read output. First how do I test the charger to see what it is putting out if anything at all and which end do I hook the batteries to??

Re: How to test a onboard charger??

I'm not familiar with that particular charger but I think we can figure this out. Plug it in and using a voltmeter, measure the output between POS and NEG leads of each of the three outputs. Is there a fuse in each of the three POS leads? Unloaded (no battery) they will likely read in the 16 - 18 Volt range. That says it's working. The terminals on the on the other end are possibly intended to serve as jumper terminals so that the Aux 1 and Aux 2 outputs can provide 12 volts parallel or 24 volts series. It would help if you gave us a manufacturer and model number as well as posting a picture of the charger. Take a good look at the end with the four outputs. If there are any lines (solid or dotted) (not wires) on the unit that run between these connections please explain them fully or better yet take pictures. If you have no need for 24 volts, the batteries get connected on the other end and there should be no connections on the other four OUTPUT terminals.

Comment

I have pics but they are to large to upload on this site. I can email them to anyone if I can have your email address.

Thanks

Comment

I hope this will lead anyone to my pics for help on hooking-up or checking to see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
          I'm not familiar with that particular charger but I think we can figure this out. Plug it in and using a voltmeter, measure the output between POS and NEG leads of each of the three outputs. Is there a fuse in each of the three POS leads? Unloaded (no battery) they will likely read in the 16 - 18 Volt range. That says it's working. The terminals on the on the other end are possibly intended to serve as jumper terminals so that the Aux 1 and Aux 2 outputs can provide 12 volts parallel or 24 volts series. It would help if you gave us a manufacturer and model number as well as posting a picture of the charger. Take a good look at the end with the four outputs. If there are any lines (solid or dotted) (not wires) on the unit that run between these connections please explain them fully or better yet take pictures. If you have no need for 24 volts, the batteries get connected on the other end and there should be no connections on the other four OUTPUT terminals.
          It looks like a triple battery charger with a pair of inverters. As Silver tips suggest, plug in unit to 120 volt source and independently check the three charges and the pair of inverters. The inverters may either be 12 volts each or one may be 12 volts and the other 24 volts. Your meter should tell you that.
          1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
          1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

Comment

Working...
          X