Sony Marine stereo wont work.. HELP

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone, Very frustrated with this new Sony stereo.(POS) 1st one I bought when I opened the box there was no wiring harness. Called Sony customer service and because the stereo was purchased more then 30 days ago they wanted me to buy the harness.

I returned it to West Marine and without a blink they gave me another new one even exchange. I wired it in this afternoon and when you connect power, press the reset button,connect the face plate, the light in the volume button flashes and that it. Wont turn on, Wont even load a CD. I double checked all the connections and am 100% everything is right.

I called there customer service and they said it needs to be grounded to metal frame. When I told them that it is grounded to the grounding system on the boat. They had no clue as to what I was talking about.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a recommendation as to a better manufacturer of marine stereos?..

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sony Marine stereo wont work.. HELP

Not sure about their marine decks but all the auto have 2 power wires a red and a yellow, one is supposed by constant 12v for memory and the other switched, when installing in a boat most just join them together as they don't wire them to the ignition switch. Did the harness also have a black (ground) wire and is that attached to a ground buss or ???

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red and yellow are connected to a fused 12volt supply. The black ground is connected to the grond bus. (all the electronic yellows are connected to the same plate.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear that you are having Sony problems...... Some Sony units have a small reset hole located behind the face plate. It will require something small like a paperclip to depress the reset.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine has the reset hole. Already went that route and a no go. Time for me to buy another brand? Just drives me nuts when you buy someting new and its crap. Or is it user error? I duno.. keep sujestions coming.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you've got it wired correctly, I would take it back as being new defective, maybe 3rd time's the charm!