Inexpensive GPS with nautical charts

dmtm

Cadet
Hi All
Can anyone tell me of any automotive gps units (ex. Garmin street pilot) that can accept nautical charts (Garmin's blue charts). I would like an all purpose GPS I can use in the car as well as the boat without the expense of a chartplotter. Thanks in advance.
Tom

tommays

Admiral
Re: Inexpensive GPS with nautical charts

Any unit made for cars as there primary use lacks the waterproofing nessary for a boat

My auto unit does not have a sealed slot for the maps were my boat unit has and o-ring sealed map slot

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How would you use nautical charts in a unit that wasn't a chartplotter?

I use a Garmin 276C marine/auto/portable. It can do all of that stuff. It talks to me to navigate my vehicle, shows me where the rocks and navaids are on the lake and travels in my pocket on hikes.

To get fine detail I use Garmin Mapsource Recreational Lakes CD and City Navigator CD, downloading whatever I want at the time to the unit. It would also accept Mapsource cards for all of the above and Bluechart. I actually carry a spare card loaded with Lake info when I travel to fish, but it would all fit on one card.

I don't know what you consider "the expense of a chartplotter", but there is no free lunch. If you want charts you gotta have a chartplotter.

For one GPS unit that does it all I don't think you can do better than the 276C or its successors, but you are going to have to pay for it. Budget about a grand for everything, and you will have some change left over.

I used to use a Garmin GPS12MAP. Monochrome handheld. Used it in the car and in the boat, but it didn't have the detail capability of the 276C. I guess the modern equivalent might come closer to what you plan on spending.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another option; for three years I used a Lowrance H20 unit on the boat and in the car. It worked fine and found addresses even on private dirt roads in Maine and resturants from Del to Maine. You can customize what areas and data you want it to store. But it routes as the crow flies, not turn by turn. That donsn't matter so much on interstates. Now I also have a Navigon 1200 just for the car. Also inxpensive, it has text to voice turn by turn, and lifetime traffic reports for an extra $50. The two units are less cost than many combined units. The tech help with both has been first class.

rndn

Commander

I see the Garmin 276C at several locations for less than $400. Why should I budget a grand for it? Is there that much extra stuff I need to buy to get it working in my vehicle and boat?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are extras, Randy, but they are all optional.

Most expensive is the auto navigator kit. It adds navigation and voice software, a speaker in the power cord, and a dash mount. It used to run about $400 but I suspect eBay has them a lot cheaper now. The unit easily switches between marine and auto modes.

Then there is the special applications software. . .Mapsource. I use a City Navigator CD for auto nav details and a Recreational Lakes, midwest edition, for fine detail on about 50 lakes. Mapsource CDs used to run around $100 each, but, again, they have been out there for a while and eBay should have them for less. You can also get a lot of the Mapsource stuff, like BlueChart, on plug in cards. I just prefer the CDs.

dmtm

Cadet

Thanks JB, I did not know if nautical charts could be used on non marine units, seeing as how they are no, the 276C is looking like the best option.

45Auto

Commander

Take a look at the Lowrance XOG. Supposed to be a "crossover" unit suitable for car and boat. I played with one at the marine store and it seemed pretty nice.

From Lowrance:

The Lowrance XOG Crossover Navigation system offers the user a GPS system that is perfect for the road, trail or even water. The XOG comes pre-loaded with NAVTEQ street maps of the US and also has over 3 million points of interest. If you want to take your auto off-road or hike on the trail, you can download satellite and aerial imagery, enhanced USGS topographic maps and BLM maps from Lowrance’s online store. If marine use is your thing, then the XOG can use Lowrance’s optional marine Mapcharts or highly detailed Navionics Gold Cartography.

You can view maps in either 2-D track up, 2-D north up or elevated 3-D. Any map you are viewing on the XOG will be easy to read on its bright, white LED backlit, 3.5” color touch-screen display that has 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

The XOG has intuitive menus making it very easy to use, even for the novice navigator. It is rugged, weather proof and can even play MP3 audio files. If you need an all-in-one unit, this is it.

buckw13

Seaman

does anyone have any experience with the lowrance xog. It seems like a pretty good deal for what i do in the fingerlakes of upstate ny. just would like to know if anyone has tried this yet

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lowrance H2o monochrome $169.00. works with opional navionics charts. Look in Iboats mall.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone have any experience with the lowrance xog. It seems like a pretty good deal for what i do in the fingerlakes of upstate ny. just would like to know if anyone has tried this yet

I am looking for XOG experience as well. It seems like a good unit but real world testing is required before I drop my $$

tommays

Admiral

i have said this many times before as an owner of a Lowrance 3500C marine unit on my poerboat which at 500 dollars is not that costly IF you look at the XOG or IWAY units they have a very limited splash rating only

iWAY? 600C Automotive GPS Navigation

The XOG is powered buy an unsealed standard mini-USB cable :eek:

If you want cheep i use a 99 dollar handheld and a waterproff chart on my sailboat and program in all the waypoints i need to use

I draw 4' and dont even use a depthfinder as i have no way to keep up with any high battery draw

skargo

Banned

I just bought the Raymarine GPS/Chartplotter with Navionics silver for $314 shipped.

bauerw

Cadet

Hi All
Can anyone tell me of any automotive gps units (ex. Garmin street pilot) that can accept nautical charts (Garmin's blue charts). I would like an all purpose GPS I can use in the car as well as the boat without the expense of a chartplotter. Thanks in advance.
Tom
I actually installed the nautical maps on my street pilot. You will need an SD card in your street pilot to transfer the maps from your PC to GPS. Once the maps are on your street pilot, you must find the setting that allows you to "uncheck" the road maps but leave the lake maps "checked". Otherwise, the detail on the lake maps will not show up. You can put waypoints or routes on your PC and upload them to your street pilot.