Anchor & Bow Lights Problem (6 Terminal Rocker Switch)

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice
I'm having a problem with the anchor & bow lights on a 1993 Boston Whaler Outrage I recently pruchased. I'm suspicious that the wires on the rocker switch may be attached incorrectly. The one position on the switch turns on the bow light - no problem. The other position (NAV Lights - Bow & Anchor) on the switch immediately pops the breaker.
When I disconnect the gray & gray with white stripe on Right Top Terminal (RT) [see below] the bow light continues to work in the one position and the breaker in the other position does NOT pop and the anchor light still does not work.

The anchor light is connected to a black wire and a gray wire with a white stripe. I have continuity on each of these wires (from the switch to the light) and they are not shorted across each other.

On the rocker switch there are six screws. Looking at the back of the switch (anchor-left, NAV- right)I'll reference each screw as follows:

Left Top (LT) - 2 light blue wires jumpered to (LB) with short gray wire*

Center Top (CT) - 1 red wire

Right Top (RT) - 1 gray wire w/ white stripe jumpered to (CB) with another short gray wire**

Left Bottom (LB) - 1 gray wire jumpered to (LT) with another short gray wire*

Center Bottom (CB) - 1 gray jumper to (RT) with short Gray wire**

Right Bottom (RB) - 1 black wire

Can anyone tell me if this is wired correctly. It doesn't look right but I'm not sure how to reconnect it.

I ASSUME that the RED wire is (+, the BLACK wire is (-), the GRAY w/ WHITE Stripe is the anchor light and the Light BLUE wires are the bow light. Is this correct? Why are there 2 light blue wires? These wires are all in a harness and appear to be original.

Does anyone have a schematic for the 17' Outrage? I'd imagine the 18' and possible other models are wired the same.

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_2106-m.jpg
    100_2106-m.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Nav & Anchor Lights Rocker Switch-m.jpg
    Nav & Anchor Lights Rocker Switch-m.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
D

DJ

Re: Anchor & Bow Lights Problem (6 Terminal Rocker Switch)

Do you have an OHM meter?

If so, I would disconnect everything (keep your diagram) and start seeing what terminals connect with what. That will determine what type of switch you have (SPDT, DPDT, etc).

I suspect that the light blue wires may be for accesory lights, such as guages, compass, etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It would appear the diagonal jumper is the problem. When the switch is placed in the NAV position, +12V from the top center terminal connects to the top right terminal. The top right terminal, via the diagonal jumper feeds the lower center terminal. That terminal is connected to the lower right terminal which is battery ground so +12V is being directed right to ground. Pop goes the fuse. There should be no ground on the switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here's how it should be wired.

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

Do you have an OHM meter?

If so, I would disconnect everything (keep your diagram) and start seeing what terminals connect with what. That will determine what type of switch you have (SPDT, DPDT, etc).

I suspect that the light blue wires may be for accesory lights, such as guages, compass, etc.

I had the switch apart and it is a DPDT. From what I see and read on the internet you're probably right about the blue wires being used for accessory lights. I think the culpret is the one jumper wire which looks like a direct short to me. The breaker doesn't open when I disconnect the wire but I'm concerned that it may affect something I don't know about.

Thanks for your input.

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

It would appear the diagonal jumper is the problem. When the switch is placed in the NAV position, +12V from the top center terminal connects to the top right terminal. The top right terminal, via the diagonal jumper feeds the lower center terminal. That terminal is connected to the lower right terminal which is battery ground so +12V is being directed right to ground. Pop goes the fuse. There should be no ground on the switch.

I agree 100%. When I remove that jumper the breaker remains closed. My concern is what else am I affecting if that wire is needed for another function that may in turn be affected by another incorrect connection.

I just received another message with a wiring diagram that makes sense to me. I'll check that out and see if solves the problem.

Thanks for the information.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No -- any gauge lights should be connected to the same terminal as the bow light (or to the upper left terminal). You don't need the gauges lit up when at anchor which would be the case if you connected to either of the lower terminals. If you did it that way the gauge lights would turn off when you switched to NAV. You don't want that!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That jumper CANNOT be used as it is for the simple fact that a ground connection should never be applied to a switch (except in some electronics situations for which this does not apply). It cannot possibly control anything in that configuration (except to blow the fuse or trip the breaker).

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

do the NAV and ANCHOR labels in your drawing need to switch places? ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Only if you consider that the toggle moves the internal wipers opposite of toggle movement (this switch does but not all of them do -- such as a slide switch). But technically yes -- the labels should be switched on this particular switch.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

cindalyn said:
Does anyone have a schematic for the 17' Outrage? I'd imagine the 18' and possible other models are wired the same.

Unfortunately boat manufacturers ain't like car makes... I don't know of any boat builder, or boat fitter for that matter, who supplies wiring drawings for their product. I agree that it would certainly make life a whole lot easier, but most boat wiring is modified so much during the first few years of the boats' life that it would render the drawings basically useless.

Back to your original post. If you took your original setup and just removed the black wire that goes to the battery -ve, then everything should work properly... No popped breakers and gauges will come on with the NAV lights (they are your 2 blue wires, one to each side of the boat), but not with the ANCHOR light.

Chris.......

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know of any boat builder, or boat fitter for that matter, who supplies wiring drawings for their product.

Grady White ... :)