any one try the magellan crossover gps?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been looking to buy the chronically lost wife a GPS. I saw that this one comes with topo maps, and you can download lakes! This got me excited about using it in the boat too.

Has anyone out there tried this unit? Was it any good?

My other thought is to just get her a Tom Tom or Garvin, and get myself the lowrence H20 one.

SFT2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: any one try the magellan crossover gps?

I haven't tried a Magellan lately, only one I've messed with was an aviation model they stopped making years ago, but if it helps any you can load Recreational Lakes on a Garmin C330 (and most likely the higher end models, but I haven't tried). No hacking or fiddling involved, just stick an SD card in the GPS, load the maps through Mapsource like any of their other maps, then go into settings, map, map details, and uncheck the map set that came loaded on the unit. Only problem is that it's not even remotely waterproof.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your wife is like mine, I would take no end of grief for wanting to use HER GPS in the boat. Go for his and hers Christmas presents. :) I've got the H20. I saved the $100 and got the black & white model then spent it on the map software. I haven't had any problem seeing the screen and have been very happy with the performance.

Nandy

Commander

Im a garmin user so I can’t say much about that unit. Most of the time, when you get a unit that can do it all you compromise quite a bit. I have 2 gps, one for the road and one for the field. Both are waterproof and I can do road, lakes and topo in both. But again, the one meant for the road is more intuitive for road and viceversa for the handheld. Good thing is both use the same software so I dont have to buy upgrades for 2. Good luck, I never got my wife to use that road unit. She rather google the address and print the directions... I give up...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Im a garmin user so I can’t say much about that unit. Most of the time, when you get a unit that can do it all you compromise quite a bit. I have 2 gps, one for the road and one for the field. Both are waterproof and I can do road, lakes and topo in both. But again, the one meant for the road is more intuitive for road and viceversa for the handheld. Good thing is both use the same software so I dont have to buy upgrades for 2. Good luck, I never got my wife to use that road unit. She rather google the address and print the directions... I give up...

Some women are just electronically challenged! Mine can't work our new tv remote.The HD and different inputs just mess her all up...geeze..lol
She also gets lost all the time! She called me one night freaking out because she went through the same town 3 times coming home from the beach.I told her your car has Onstar,PUSH THE BUTTON!!!...

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup mine hates my gadgets she calls them.:D And i like it that way! Never thought of using my garmn in the boat.As one posted not water friendly would be nervous about it.