livewell switch with timer wiring

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a used boat (92 Sea Nymph FM160) and I have a simple quesiton regarding the livewell pump switch. It is a 3 way lighted rocker switch. (On/Off/Auto) When the pump is in On mode, the light is lit. When the pump is in auto, the light only is lit when the pump is running. Is this normal or should the light be lit all the time when in auto mode?

The only reason I'm asking is that by not having the light on when in auto mode might cause me to leave the switch on when I pull the boat out of the water. Since I'm in the beginning to mid stages of CRS disease (Can't Remember S%@&) I need all the help I can get.

If this is normal, I'll just try to do my best to remember to check the switch. If it isn't, then I guess I'll need to pull the switch out and see how it is wired.

Thanks

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: livewell switch with timer wiring

It sounds like the light is connected between ground an the pump hot lead, so what you have now is normal.
If you want a light on steady for "on" and "auto" there's 2 ways;

1. Add a 2nd lamp, wired between ground and the "auto" terminal of the switch, or

2. Wire a small diode from both "on" and "auto" of the switch to the lamp. (2 diodes, 1N4001, 1N4002, etc will work fine, 15-20? ea.)
The white line on the diode points to the lamp. I'll draw a schematic & post it if you wish.

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wire2... I can tell right away that you're talking way above my head. The part you said about "what I have now is normal" is all I need to hear. I can live with it that way as long as I know that is the standard method.

I just want to clarify...the light I am refering to is just a small round led light on one side of the switch. I don't really want to get too creative with adding a second light. I was just trying to see if the light in the switch would stay lit in both manual on and auto modes when the pump is on and off.

As for option number two...I like to make sure that any changes I make, I will understand 2 years from now when I'm trying to figure out what in the heck I was doing. Since I don't understand it now, I don't think it will improve down the road. LOL

Thanks for your input and schematic offer.....I think I'll just leave well enough alone and try and make sure that auto switch is off when I pull the boat out of the water.

Thanks for your help!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since you only run the livewell after you actually caught a fish, how could you not remember to turn off the live well as it would be cycling while you are removing the fish? You are being way to critical of yourself so look at it this way, you will only forget it once -- well maybe twice. Make it a habit to touch every switch as the last step before you leave the boat.

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I see you're point Silvertip. I backed a boat into the lake ONCE without having the drain plug in. Once and only once.

The timer I'm putting in this boat has a variable delay of 1 minute to 15 minutes so I guess I could easily get my fish out of the livewell before it cycled on. (I only keep crappie and release everything else by the way.) I guess I'll have to add "check switches" to the trailer light, drain plug, safety chain, etc.... routine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are in any area where water temps get quite warm, you best set the timer for no more than 3 - 4 minutes off time or you will have dead fish. Even up here in the tundra, surface temps get over 80 degrees and frequent live well cycles are a must. Besides -- with your hands in the livewell, that should be a signal to turn off the switch.