Optima batts gel??

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Optima batts gel??

When in doubt, go to the source-

These batteries are SEALED. They will not leak in or out.

Last edited by a moderator:

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

True, they do not leak. Be careful with them though. They do not lkike to be run down low. If so, they can short and run your charging system at full output.

Just my experience in auto fleets. Most have gone back to standard lead/acid.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the tips. This battery's sole purpose will be to power accesories and low usage ones at that. It's going on a whitwater raft that can swamp, filling the boat with water. That's why I need it to be submersible. I'm trying to decide on this Optima or a traditional gel cell.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

For that purpose, real low amp draws, it should work fine.

gss036

Commander

You say it is going on a white water raft that might fill with water. Then my question would be, if it is under water and the battery posts are submerged under water, what keeps it from shorting out??
Water is know to conduct current pretty effectively.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

You say it is going on a white water raft that might fill with water. Then my question would be, if it is under water and the battery posts are submerged under water, what keeps it from shorting out??
Water is know to conduct current pretty effectively.

That won't be a problem unless it's left submerged for days.
Pure water is not conductive, (or high voltage transmission lines would short in the rain). It becomes a bit conductive when minerals are dissolved, (rivers, lakes) and more so with salt.

As per Ohm's Law, current varies directly with voltage in a resistive circuit. 12 volts is quite low, so current will be low also.