• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Windlass Cable Size, 2-AWG or 4-AWG

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windlass Cable Size, 2-AWG or 4-AWG

Hello, I am installing a Lewmar 700H Pro Series Windlass on a 21' CC. My batteries are in the console, so the wire length will be approx 18' to 20'. I am planning to use ANCHOR tinned wire in the 4-AWG size. The installation guide recommends to use 8-AWG size, but West Marine recomends to use 2-AWG size.

Do I really need to go to a 2-AWG?...as a 4-AWG is already doubling the manufacturers recomendations...thanks.

Re: Windlass Cable Size, 2-AWG or 4-AWG

With that long run I would use #2, gg.

#4 would probably be okay if the batteries were close, but 18-21' is a long run.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      With that long run I would use #2, gg.

#4 would probably be okay if the batteries were close, but 18-21' is a long run.
      Agreed you're running a very long way and operating a high draw accessory you should use #2. Not saying #4 wouldn't work but it's in the gray zone imo.

Comment

What's the current stamped on the name plate?

Comment

Length of conductors is 40 ft (2 x 20 ft
          Resistance per foot of #4 copper is .000292Ω
          Resistance of 40 ft is .01168Ω
          Current is 35 amps.

Voltage drop (E = IR)of #4 is .40 volts or 2.9%

Voltage drop of #2 is .3 volts or 2.1%

Voltage drop of #6 is .7 volts or 5%
          In other words, with battery at 13.8v, windlass will receive 13.1v. No problemo.

Personally, I'd go with #6 as it's a very intermittent load.
          Mercruiser trim pumps are also 35 amps, I believe they get only a #10 wire. At 5 ft + 5 ft it's a 5.7% drop.

West Marine is covering their butt. Extremely.
          Last edited by JB; October 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM. Reason: deleted forbidden commercial link. See rule #10

Comment

Thanks alot guys, lots of great information. Wire2, Lewmar also recomends going with AWG 6 for my application....impressive calculations BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by gearyg View Post
              Thanks alot guys, lots of great information. Wire2, Lewmar also recomends going with AWG 6 for my application....impressive calculations BTW.
              It comes easy for a licensed electrician.

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X