Need Furuno Radar Help

kiksav

Cadet
Purchased a boat with an older Furuno CRT radar with a 3.5 ft open array antenna. Crt powers up fine and goes to standby after about 2 minutes. When transmit is pressed the unit dies. Is the antenna the problem? The antenna does not attempt to spin when transmit is pushed. I was going to plug in an operational antenna and see what happens, but I don't want to blow a good antenna. Any thoughts on diagnostics would be appreciated.

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need Furuno Radar Help

Ive fooled around with communications problems, and non functional array motors, but I think a trip to http://www.furuno.com/ would be alot more help than I could offer. Theyve seen it all at one time or another.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

cjames has the right idea. We can just speculate; there you can get the facts. Also, a manual might help as manuals usually have troubleshooting guides.

You need to know the "it dies" mechanism. If the antenna is frozen, when you go to tx it attempts to turn and system current is exceeded. There has to be some sort of overcurrent sensor to shut down the system and allow it to restart without burning up your power supplies. Apparently this is the case from your explanation of the problem. Additionally, the tx could be at fault and the antenna doesn't spin because the tx sucks up all the juice and none is left for the antenna.

A manual will take you through all this.

Mark

Aficionado

Recruit

www.battlewagonmounts.com has a direct link to evry mfr's current and outdated manuals page. Go to radar Mounts, Pick Furuno, pick any size antenna and at the bottom will be the link. Might be quicker than sorting Furuno's site.......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

This thread is over 2 years old. Don't expect to do anyone any good.

Mark