Sears Gamefisher 24lb Thrust Trolling Motor

mom4vet

Recruit
My fiance just bought this trolling motor at a yard sale. It is model #217-590240 and serial #28-244259. It works and goes forward and reverse but there is no speed control. Does anyone out there know anything about these and if there is a way to repair this? Maybe a manual or electrical diagram. I've been doing a little searching and I think it was made by ESKA or possibly Force if it is 1987 or after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears Gamefisher 24lb Thrust Trolling Motor

Trolling motors with three or four selectable speeds are controlled by speed coils in the motor. Speed coils are wire wound resistors. They shunt large amounts of current around the motor to provide the various speeds so they get hot and eventually open. High speed is a direct connection to the motor so it rarely provides a problem.

mom4vet

Recruit
Re: Sears Gamefisher 24lb Thrust Trolling Motor

After having some time to check out the motor, my fiance found that the motor is speed controlled by a power transistor. He thinks that this explains why you can't run them when they are out of the water, the transistor over heats. The heat sink is the front of the motor assembly and would be submerged while in normal use. For now, the speed control handle can be used to switch the motor on and off and directional control is through the normal fwd - off - reverse switch. It works for now and he plans to get another transistor (should be a Radio Shack item) for full speed control in the near future.