Minn Kota Stopped Working - 4 Wires?

xsvsports

Recruit
What are the 4 wires used for that go down to the motor through the shaft? I was trying to touch a 12 volt source to the red and black to make sure the motor was good but it didn't do anything.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the white and yellow wires and tell me how I can tell if I just need to pick up a new switch or if the motor is shot?

Thanks for any help,

Conrad

conrad@xsvsports.com

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Stopped Working - 4 Wires?

It would really help to know what model motor you have.

xsvsports

Recruit

Thanks for the link.

The model says Minn Kota Cabela Tournament Series, 65TC 65lbs of thrust. It is a 24volt model.

It has the red and black wires going down the tube and then also a white and yellow wire that is thinner than the red and black. I thought I should be able to touch the red and black to some wires going straight to a battery just to test the motor out but it didn't do anything so I am trying to figure out what the yellow and white wires are used for or if I could twist them in with the red and black wires(depending what they are for) just to test the motor.

I ordered one of the 5 position switches incase that is all it is but would like to be able to test the motor out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The red and black wires are the +24 and Ground wires and when connected to the battery, should make the motor run on high speed. To make the motor run on the slower speeds, connect the yellow and black wires to the battery. Same for the white and black wires. Red-Black = fast, yellow-black and white-black are intermediate speeds. Speeds are selected by speed switch selecting speed coils (wire wound resistors) in the motor.