Optima Blue Top Batteries

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Guys,

Just got a boat with one of these and don't know much about them, I thought they were Gel cell batteries, but it looks like it's probably just a regular lead/acid type, is that right?

Anyway, this thing was still in the bilge when I looked at it in January, not hooked up, just still in there. Then when I test drove it in Feb it was caked in ice in the bilge but cranked perfectly and was taking a charge no problem. Brought the boat home and it sat for about a month, with this battery in it, went out to start it and the thing cranked nice and fast, no problem whatsoever.

Now I was gonna replace it, just because I have no idea what it's been through or how it's been taken care of, but I figured I should find out a little more about it before I toss it, especially since it seems to perform so well.

Any info on these is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Optima Blue Top Batteries

Very high quality batteries, Mike. Certainly worth keeping.

They are expensive, about twice what a good dual purpose marine battery usually costs. Some think they are worth it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

They are the same as a regular battery, but instead of side by side plates, they are wrapped like a "condenser", and I think they get more plate area that way. Also why it looks like a six-pack. Each cell puts out 2.1 volts. Easy to take it out and take it to any auto store and have them toss a load tester on it. Takes 5 seconds..
Or just let it sit for a week, toss a voltmeter on it, 12.60 or so I wouldn't worry about it

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, I knew they were supposed to be better, just wasn't sure why.

Is there anyway to check the fluid level in these batteries, or are they fully maintenance free? I am gonna take it and get it load tested and then charge ti fully up, hopefully I can keep it going for a few years.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Totally maintenance free you dont need to mess with it at all. I would jsut use it till it dies. I had a Sears die hard battery and its been in my truck for 8-9 years now and it still works fine. i replaced it because I thought it was going bad but it was the fuel pump. its curently in my boat and still working. I do have a extra battery in case this one jsut craps out
Rob