• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Recommended splice for 6 to 8 ga. wire?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended splice for 6 to 8 ga. wire?

I need to splice some 6 ga. wire to 8 ga. wire on my boat. I can't find any Shrink Tube Butt Connectors in this size. I found some regular Vinyl-insulated Butted Seam Barrel Terminals in 6 ga. that would work and I guess I could shrink some of the adhesive-lined shrink tube around it to keep out the moisture. Anybody have a better idea?

If I use a plain old vinyl crimp butt connector, what size adhesive lined shrink tube should I get to shrink over it but still seal against the underlying 6 and 8 ga. wires?

Thanks!

Re: Recommended splice for 6 to 8 ga. wire?

youll have to get the size that will fit over the butt connector, and add a little more heat to shirink the small end.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Be sure to use quality shrink tube. There is allot of junk tube out there. Learned my lesson wiring the trailer....twice.
      my 2cents.
      "Your results may vary"

Thundercraft in Progress
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287390

Tri-hull Wiring
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448376

Comment

You may want to look into cold fusion tape. It's used in the utilities (electrical, natural gas). I have found it in Menards,; but an electrical supply house will carry it.

Comment

Don't overlook liquid electrical tape for a final seal.
          sigpic

Comment

Alpha shrink tubing is good stuff. Comes in all the sizes and you can go with 6:1 shrink ratio or a 3:1 shrink. You can get it with or without glue. Newark electronics sells it . this link will take you to the newark site for heat shrink tubing . http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=0&Ntk=gensearch_001|gensearch_001&Nt t=shrink+tubing|heat+shrink&Ntx=&D=shrink+tubing+h eat+shrink

Comment

Tony, I would use marine-grade butt connectors and crimp and solder them. Then pull the shring tube over them and shrink it, and cover the edges with liquid electrical tape.

Comment

LOL at Chris. Are you sure he don't need some conduit too?

Comment

Hey Marc, If you don't solder and waterproof the connection, it will fail. I have had a marine-grade battery cable turn to blue paste in less than 4 days, in my saltwater environment.

If he follows your advice, then the question is, "where do you(or he) want to be when that conection fails?"

Comment

Solder and seal!

Comment

How would I solder this thick wire? It is not pre-tinned marine grade wire. The trolling motor manufacturers don't provide pretinned wire.

In a previous job I used to solder much smaller size wire. It seems like it would take a LOT of heat to get the wires hot enough to take solder. The insulation would start melting.

Comment

Just an FYI, It is my understanding that the ABYC guidelines recommend crimped and heatshrinked connectors. They are specific not to recommend solder. But I cannot remember why. ABYC is the standard that most builders use. Personally I have used both methods when the situation dictates.
                        "Your results may vary"

Thundercraft in Progress
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287390

Tri-hull Wiring
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448376

Comment

Tony, Work some solder paste (flux) into the strands of the wire, and use a 60 watt soldering iron or a propane torch. Just a touch from the torch should do you. Use rosin core solder.

As for the non-recommended use of solder. The crimp-type butt connections are vapor tight and superior to solder, if crimped properly, using the correct tools. Since I have neither the correct tools or the correct technique, I use solder.

Comment

ABYC says no solder cause the wire at the solder point can become britttle from the heat -induced temper and break due to vibration. Solder and seal (shrink wrap and liquid electrical tape)Is the best permanent,LOW RESISTANCE,method of connecting continuous,high current load,unlike wire size splices.(In my opinion and experience.)Done correctly,and secured against flexing(aka vibration)Its forever!

Comment

I just spliced some new batt cables together for my big Merc OB. Home Depot has some aluminum blocks (in the same section with the butt splices)..that are about inch or so long, with a set screw on both ends. I cannot think just what they are called, but come in different sizes for the bigger wire. They are the same things that connect your house wire on the pole to your rain cap somewhere along the line, only those are much bigger. I simply stuffed the stripped wire in there, cranked down the set screw, wrapped in some 1/8 thick rubber I have, taped up good, and zero problems. If it works out in the rain for decades, I see know problem on boats cables if done right

Comment

Working...
                              X