Lighted rocker switch for nav/anc

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a lighted rocker switch with 3 detents in the rocker and six spade contacts on the back. The switch had no diagram for wiring it. I would prefer, when the bottom of the rocker is in, for that to be the OFF position; the first "rock" toward the top of the switch be the ANC light; and when the top of the switch is depressed fully to be NAV/ANC. Any and all advice will be greatly received.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lighted rocker switch for nav/anc

They are almosy always off in the center. What you are looking for is a DPDT switch. BlueSea makes a Contura one. The model number is 8286 for black and 8220 for grey.

burroak

From what I have found from googling rocker switches, I see that they are energized through the center contacts. Since that is the case, others on this forum have described the wiring pattern.

Thanks for the reply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This switch is not lighted but the wiring should help you. Center is OFF. That's the way the switch works.

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

burroak

Silvertip,

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Thanks.

In your illustration, would the lower left be the ground for the light possibly?

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is knott a lighted switch,NO ground on this switch.( ps. according to this diagram,anchor would be up,nav down. )

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Waldo -- that diagram was a test and you got it right. 8)
If the toggle works backwards, turn the switch around in the hole. Burroak -- there are no grounds on this switch but a lighted rocker switch will have a ground terminal on it. That means that terminal must be grounded to complete the circuit for the rocker switch light.

burroak

Well, the switch that I have is lighted. For that function, I guess I'll resort to the ole sparky test.:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Are none of the terminals marked on that switch? One of the terminals should be marked "G", "GND" or have a ground symbol by it.

burroak

None of the terminals are identified. I did put a multimeter on the switch and found that the lower left in your diagram is the ground for the LED Thanks for the help with the NAV/ANC routing.

vicref

Recruit

This switch is not lighted but the wiring should help you. Center is OFF. That's the way the switch works.

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

My switch is three post, nav/doc. I want to put bow & stern lites on up position and bow, stern & docking lites on bottom. Is that possible

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats.

You should start a new thread of your own, not drag out a 4 year old thread out of the archives to ask something completely different.

vicref

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.

You should start a new thread of your own, not drag out a 4 year old thread out of the archives to ask something completely different.

sorry, first time user.