Optima Batteries

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone had any experience with this battery brand, negative or positve?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Optima Batteries

I looked at the price of one a few years ago. That hurt so bad I haven't done it since.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i haven't used their deep cycle buy my bro uses one with a cap in his truck w/ a 1500 watt amp and 2 JL W6 12's and they can keep up with that kind of draw.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the price I dont think its worth it. Those things will cost you an arm and a leg if not your head too.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

imho, any quality battery, kept charged, and maintained. i've just had good luck with Trojan.

i had two on my boat was not impressed one nigt camping with little amp draw no fridge, just lights and radio and anc. light batt always dead by morning. I want to note batts had probably not been maint by previous owner but for the cost of those things they should be supierior to your good old flooded cell like the kinds i have revived over and over. i replaced with regular good quality flooded cell a freind of mine is a interstate battery rep so thats what ive got work great.

RiverBoy

Cadet

ruf1967 said:

These batteries are great. I have one in my Corvette and one in my boat. I have recently come across the agm batteries sold at cabelas, they seem to be a little less expensive.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ruf1967 said:

I put the yellow top (dual purpose) Optima in my boat last year. My orig 12V cranking battery began petering out after 3 yrs of fishing through the evening with my nav lights and stereo on. The Optima hasn't left me down so far but I still always carry jumper cables in the boat in the event I have to jump from one of the trolling motor batteries. I was willing to give it a fair try since it claimed to afford a longer reserve capacity than the orig. battery and I don't like messing around with battery connections in the dark.

I have a 24V trolling motor and certainly wouldn't part with the sheckles every 2 or 3 years for two Optimas. Right now the $65 everstart 27 series deep cycle marine batteries are working well for me. Supprisingly the Optima deep cycle marine batteries only have a 1 yr. warranty whereas the Everstarts have a 3 yr full replacement warranty.....Go figure!

ZmOz

Captain

Optima batteries suck more than a homosexual vacuum cleaner. Anybody who works in a battery store will tell you about the ridiculous number of batteries returned under warranty because they quit working after just a year or two. They are extremely picky about charging voltage and amperage - two things boats are not very good at controlling. They are also terrible with complete discharges, the way you often would use a battery on a boat, and come with very low amp hour capacity for their size. On top of that, they're way, way overpriced.

I use Hawker AGM batteries in everything now. They provide significantly more starting amps for any given size battery (2400 amps for the battery in my truck vs 800 amps from a larger optima), they have no limits on charging current, they are much more high and low voltage tolerant, and they are designed to last more than 400 complete cycles at 100% discharge or 8-10 years. You simply cannot do that with an Optima. You can often find them on ebay for really good prices, but even retail they cost about the same as an Optima and offer much, much more. Most of the ones I have are dated 2001, and are still going strong.