• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with rail?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with rail?

What is the best way to mount a bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with a rail up front?

Attached Files
    1991 Thundercraft 177LS, 4.3L (175HP) OMC Cobra

Re: bow mount trolling motor on a bowrider with rail?

Sorry, I forgot how to attach a pic.

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Gregg\Desktop\Bow Pic.bmp[/img]

Comment

Two options:

Build a nice Teak platform that allows you to mount the motor above the rail. The would require a slightly longer shaft on the trolling motor.

OR

Check into modifying the bow rail so that you can make a gap in it for the troller. Most large marine suppliers should be able to supply the fittings to do same.

BTW this issue comes up quite often here. A search may turn up something I overlooked.

Gary

Comment

Thanks for the reply Gary. I have already searched and found several threads that ask about it, but not a whole lot of solutions.

The rail modification would definitely work, however, I would like to get the motor up and above the rail instead of modifying it.

I was at a boat show recently and saw that a lot of the new Bayliners and Glastrons have a bracket for their trolling motors that mount on the front and slanting side of the boat. The salesmen at the boat show were of no help when I asked about the brackets availability and/or whether there were different styles.

If anyone has seen any of these brackets, sold anywhere I would appreciate it.

The other option is to have one made.

Comment

the easiest way is to mount a piece of 1/2 aluminum diamond plate on the deck , that sticks out under the rail and mount the motor outside the rail. it will hinder you if docking on that side of the boat.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I have the same problem with my boat. I may be in some of the posts you are speaking about. I have yet to find anything that will suffice. The wife does not want the rail off the boat, and doesnt want a hole cut in it either. The way I see it is if there was a way to slide the motor out then pivot down instead of that mechanical arm type of bow motors that everyone has.
            Hope this helps
            2005 Key West 186 CC 115Yam. 4-St.

Comment

Is there any way to attach a mount to the rail? Look into making a some sort of mounting plate that attaches to the rail and voila you have a side business that serves everyone who has a bow rail and wants a mount for a trolling motor...LOL!

Comment

pretty good idea but thats a lot of pressure on the rail. As long as its welded good enough or clamped tight enough.

Comment

Well lets get into this then, how about we start with a picture of your rail on your boat, a location where you want it to go....then we can go from there.

Comment

If there was a way to mount the whole setup on the rail and have a longer shaft, like said before by welding diamondplate to the rail and using that to mount the whole unit to.

Comment

Would still love to see a pic of what you want done....it would sure help.

Comment

I tried uploading a picture in my first post, but obviously was unsuccessful.

If this doesn't work, can you explain how to upload a pic?

Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

You need to upload your picture to a free web picture hosting site...

I use Photobucket.com. Start a free account, upload your pics, and then use the IMG code on here and bingo bango, your pic just shows up on here!

Good luck with the photo posting. I would surely help when trying to help you!

Comment

Thanks for the upload help. I could have sworn that I had uploaded pics before without referencing a free upload type site, but can't remember how I did it.

These are about the best pictures that I could find, until I get the boat out of winter storage.

I think I would be able to mount on the point of the bow, if the gas tank cover wasn't right in the middle. It still may work, but would be a very tight fit for the base of the trolling motor.

If these pics give you any ideas, I am open to anything right now.

Comment

ohh heck yea you can fit a troller up there some where just be careful about the placement. You dont want to drill through the gas tube but it should work. My problem is the rail is much taller and is one peice all the way across.

Comment

Working...
                              X