Minn Kota Terrova or Powerdrive V2?

gkosel

Seaman
Has anyone taken a close look at these two motors? I have a 17 1/2 FG Bowrider and am looking for a trolling motor. I am looking at the 70lb Powerdrive V2 and the Terrova 80lb. Is the Terrova worth the extra $300 bucks?

I haven't been able to find any reviews or a whole lot of information about the two motors as of yet. So any thoughts or personal reviews would be appreciated.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota Terrova or Powerdrive V2?

It does seem odd that for an extra 10 LBS of thrust, it would cost you $300.00. Can I ask you if you plan on getting the AutoPilot and Universal Sonar 2. I guess the foot pedal for the Terrova looks revamped from the powerdive, but I still can't see it worth an extra $300.00.

I wonder if you should just phone them and ask what the difference is, and why the Terrova is $300.00 more than the comparable PowerDrive V2.

gkosel

Seaman

The Minn Kota web site is not very good and describing the differences. I guess I will have to check with Minn Kota or the guys at the local sports shops for more information.

From what I can tell, the Terrova upgrades the Auto Pilot to digital. The Powerdrive V2 does not say anything about digital, so I am guessing it does not have this technology.

What that really means, I do not know.

I would think that there is more to the Terrova to justify the $300 difference, but have not been able to find what it is yet.

It is a little early to be to gung ho about fishing, but I bought my boat at the end of the year last year (got a good deal) and have only taken it out on the water once. So I am pretty anxious to get it out and play.

I am hoping that more towards spring, people will start comparing these two motors a little more and may have some more detailed feedback.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Saskatoon2005

I don't know if you get boat shows, but inthe spring here, a boat show comes and then I check out all the new stuff and find out the differences and get answers to my questions there.

gkosel

Seaman

We actually have a pretty good sized sportsmans show coming this weekend that I am going to check out.

I also sent an email request to the folks at Minn Kota.

I will respond with my findings.

gkosel

Seaman

Here is the response that I got from the Minn Kota Customer Service Team:

"The Terrova motors offer a new style foot pedal where you steer the motor heel to toe, while the V2 powerdrive systems utlize a new pedal as well, though based on the old style where you tap on the foot pedal with your foot to operate the motor.

Also, the autopilot systems in the Terrova allow you to turn on/off the autopilot feature from the foot pedal. On the V2 models, you must go to the motor itself and press a button to activate and de-activate the autopilot.

The autopilot feature in the Terrova is also improved, allowing for a smoother adjustment of the motor than the V2 systems."

I will add any other new information that I get this weekend at the sportsmans show.

Saskatoon2005

I am just curious if these subtle differences are enough for you to pay an extra $300.00 on it?

gkosel

Seaman

At this point I do not think so. Unless someone can sell me on why these differences (if that is all there is) are worth $300. The $300 bucks that I will save will get me half way to the Lowrance 522C that I am going to want up front by the Trolling motor.

We do need to remember that in addition to these differences there is an extra 10lbs of thrust.

The reason I couldn't do a direct comparison, is that the PowerDrive V2 only goes up to 70lbs.

I think I could get by with the 55 or 65, but am opting to go with the 70 based on recommendations from others saying that you can never have too much power in a trolling motor.

I do want to be able to actually troll with the motor instead of just using it as a positioning tool. I have an I/O motor, so do not really want to add a kicker.

If someone wants to try to convince me that the Terrova is worth the $300, go for it.

Skinnywater

Commander

I think I could get by with the 55 or 65, but am opting to go with the 70 based on recommendations from others saying that you can never have too much power in a trolling motor.

The cost between the 65&70 is minimal. The 55 is a 12v unit.
Another concern should be shaft length. Will a 60' be enough for that boat?
One trolling motor website FAQ answer said to add 10' to the distance from the mounting spot to the bottom of the boat.
The question was explained another way that the hieght on the motors is adjustable and that it is better to go longer than needed since it's important to keep the motor submerged in rough water.

gkosel

Seaman

60" is the longest shaft length that I have seen for this motor and I think it will be plenty long.

I had a chance to get a closer look at these two motors at a sportsmans show this weekend.

The Terrova actually has a bigger base than the V2, so I think I am going to be going with the V2, since I am somewhat worried about finding room on the front of the boat to mount it. After talking to the salesman, they had a hard time justifying the extra money for the Terrova, other than it was new technology and has some more bells and whistles.

Both models have new deployment mechanisms. The Terrova, is as easy as pushing down on a lever with your foot, and the entire unit deploys by itself.

The V2 has a new deployment mechanism too and is much better than the original PowerDrive (that has well documented problems), but requires a little more effort than the Terrova.

In the end the Terrova would be nice if I had an endless budget, but the $300 that I will save, will be put toward the $650 Lowrance 520C that I will be hooking up to the US2 built in sonar on the PDV2.

Saskatoon2005

I think that was a good choice. I imagine the price will drop eventually for the terrova, but until then...it's an expensive model....LOL! Good Luck

Patrick

brown_one

Petty Officer 3rd Class

gkosel have you bought the v2? i have been looking at both for my deck boat and am leaning to the v2. can't justify the extra dollars. i do want the universal sonar. want to be able to plug gps/fish finder in to it. if you have, how do you like it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you look at the very detailed Minnkota catalog you will see that the Terrova has a much different base, stow and deploy mechanism and foot pedal. Terrovas are also available in 36 volt versions. 36 volt motors place a great deal of stress on the base, hence the difference. Sales numbers dictate selling price of any product. Many more PD V2s will be sold than Terrovas for the simple reason that there are fewer buyers for 36 volt motors and those that select 12 or 24 volt motors will likely take the V2. High production rates can reduce product cost because of a term called "economy of scale". An example of this is if Corvettes were built and sold in the same quantities as Impalas, the price difference would not nearly as great as it currently is.

John_S

Rear Admiral

This last Spring, I looked at both of them in the 45-55lb range, and came to the same conclusion, the Terra wasn't worth the extra $.

FWIW: I ended up choosing the Motorguide Wireless (w/free keyfob) because it wasn't an added cost, and included a reliable/tight removable mount. I bought another keyfob on ebay, and will not go back to or use the foot pedal.

cranksbait

Seaman Apprentice

I have the powerdrive v2 on my boat. Not sure if it would be next years or not, the boat is. It has the sonar cable, auto drive on the motor, battery check on motor, long cable for the foot pedal. Overall I am impressed with this motor. I came from a 12 volt 24 lbs Evinrude to 24 volt 70 lbs. Huge difference in power. I cannot believe how long the batteries last. I'm getting used to the side to side pedal as opposed to the front to back steer.

I am not that fond of the deploy and retrack mech. I have already jammed it twice because I am used to pulling a cord and up it comes. This you have to get on the bow of the boat and lift, then flick switch to tilt. To release you have to push on a plastic lever to push the motor out. I recon this will be the first thing I break.

Splat

Lieutenant

I have the Terrova 55# on my 16ft Grumman. I bought mine reconditioned with a factory warranty and haven't looked back.

I went crazy of the same decision between the two. I finally settled on the Terrova for a few reasons. The Autopilot is selectable from the foot pedal. Although once I turn it on I leave it on so this wasn't as big of a deal as I thought. Also the foot pedal on the terrova gives you the option of heel to toe steering, with the momentary switch by your toes. This does make it easier when your standing. You can plant your one foot on the pedal and balance your wieght between your two feet then. The power drive model requires you to lift your foot slightly to move to the other pedal, thus shifting your weight.

The really nice feature is the Stow and deploy lever though. I'm unaware if the V2 uses the same system. On the terrova all you have to do is lift the motor, tilt back towards you and pull it into the ramps, and it automatically locks into place securely. To deploy you push the lever in, then down and give the motor a little nudge, it automatically falls into the water and locks into position.

The terrova also has a built in battery gauge. I rarely use it, but it's there and seems to work well.

If you need pictures or video let me know I'll get some tomorrow.

Bill

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

I went with the v2 as well. Could care less about pedal functions as I prefer the copilot remote. Traded it's effectiveness for the autopilot which I now wish I had gotten also.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I went with the v2 as well. Could care less about pedal functions as I prefer the copilot remote. Traded it's effectiveness for the autopilot which I now wish I had gotten also.

Autopilot can still be added.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Really? I thought it was in the internal electronics, that is good news. BTW does autopilot increase speed if needed to stay on course? For example if the wind picked up.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Really? I thought it was in the internal electronics, that is good news. BTW does autopilot increase speed if needed to stay on course? For example if the wind picked up.

No. it just keeps the TM pointed in the direction you set it. When AP is added they change the circuit board and the top of the motor (on the older units).