Furuno FCV 522 Video Sounder

w2much

Lieutenant
A few questions to those who may know regarding this unit. It came with one of my project boats and appears to be in good working condition. Is this an out of date fish finder or is it a higher quality CRT unit still worth installing. My current fish finder is about 20 years old and was curious if this old unit is comparable to newer ones made today. The size is an issue but I can accomadate it if I know it is worth installing. Can not afford a new state of the art unit.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Furuno FCV 522 Video Sounder

Although visibility is terrible in daylight viewing, the machine does a great job and has lots of capability.

w2much

Lieutenant

Thanks Reel Poor, I figured the visability would be an issue so I plan on installing under the dash. Besides the visability issue would the capabilities be as advanced as newer models?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

This is a copy & paste

FCV522.jpg

MSRP - USD

$1,395.00

Please Note: This product
is no longer available for
sale from Furuno USA.

Overview
Display.......... Range... Frequency... Power Output
8" Color CRT.. 1000'.. ...50 & 200 .......kHz 150 W

The Furuno FCV522 is a compact color video sounder with dual-frequency transmitters using a single transducer. Steady, non-fading images are presented on an 8" CRT in accordance with the received echo strength.
The FCV522 incorporates both 50kHz and 200kHz frequencies for optimum shallow as well as deep water performance. You have a choice of either low frequency display, either with or without bottom lock, or a simultaneous dual-frequency display, plus the FCV522's Zoom display. In the Zoom display, a portion specified by the zoom marker is expanded to a full vertical screen size on the left-hand side of the screen to give a closer observation of weak targets.

A noise limiter and a unique audible alarm facility are provided as standard features. The alarm works either as a Fish Alarm (Echowatch) or as a Bottom Alarm.

In addition to manual phasing of range, automatic phasing is provided so that the bottom is always displayed on the lower half of the screen.

Water depth is displayed digitally on-screen. When the FCV522 is fitted with an optional Speed/Temperature sensor or a multi-sensor transducer, both ship speed and water temperature are displayed digitally. In addition, ship's position in Lat/Lon is shown when a nav sensor outputting data in CIF or NMEA 0183 format ($**GLL sentence) is connected. All of this digital data may be presented in larger size type in the Nav Data Display.

You can also call up another unique display mode, the Graphic Display. Graphic Display shows, together with the depth contours, the detailed historical change of water temperature when an optional sensor is connected.

Standard Features

High-Resolution 8" Color CRT
8-Color presentation for maximum target discrimination
Powerful 150 Watt RMS transmitter
8 Range Scales from 15-1,000 feet
Calibration in feet, meters or fathoms
Stepped Phasing to 2,000 feet
Large, digital readout of depth, temperature, speed and position
8 Presentation Modes including Full screen nav Data, Graphic Display with Bottom Contour and Temp, and a Graph over a selectable period of time
Sunshield
Baklit membrane control keypad
Bottom Lock Expansion
Selectable Fish or Bottom alarm
Switchable Noise Limiter
6 Zoom ranges
Automatic bottom tracking
Snapshot picture memory
Memorized control settings
Depth data output in CIF or NMEA 1083
Selectable signal level
Surface water temp alarm
Day/Night hue selection
Menu-driven sub functions
VRM

Power Requirements
11-40 VDC, 45 Watts

w2much

Lieutenant

Thanks You Again Reel Poor. Looks good to me. Look forward to working with it.