hard to deploy minnkota powerdrive

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought a minnkota powerdrive for my boat. For the most part i love the motor, but the one thing i can't stand about it, is that it is so hard to deploy. I put a little grease on the shaft, and there is a little collar that i adjusted too, but it really didn't help much. Any other ideas on how to get the thing to deploy a little easier? Or does anyone else out there have this problem?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hard to deploy minnkota powerdrive

It's the price we pay for the advantages, BAH.

Tcrum5711

Seaman

Amorall the plastic pads where the 'torpedo' sits on. Mine stuck there also. Works great for the shaft also.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

None of those remedies work for long. The problem is the tension pads. If you remove the side covers you'll see a hard, brown rubber pad. These are compressed when the motor is stowed. There is a "U" shaped casting on the back side of the housing which faces downward when stowed. I used a die grinder to remove some of that material. Mine now works fine. The other option is to totally disassemble the motor and trim off some of the brown rubber tension pad. I may have some pictures of this process and will post them if I can find them. This procedure was recommended by a Minnkota rep at a boat show.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, that sounds like a better idea, silvertip

the pictures would be appricated if you can dig them up,

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Would love to see those pics Silvertip. I carry a short piece of 2X4 to pop it out of its seat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go! There are two approaches to solving this "hard deploy" problem. I would suggest you use the motor as-is for a bit. Sometimes they loosen up on their own -- mine didn't. What's causing the problem is that the hard rubber blocks are compressed by the tab just above it as the motor is stowed. That happens when the area I show as being ground down (see yellow stars) hits the base plate. Through a linkage, the tabs squeeze the blocks. I recommend that you trim just a little off the top of the rubber block (between the block and the tab). Take no more than 1/16-inch off each one. If that doesn't help, then you need a air driven or electric die-grinder and go after the area marked by the yellow starts. Again, use patience, and take off only a little at a time. Mine now works very well. You don't want to take off so much material that the motor flops around under way.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/40oldtimer19/MinnKota PD/Blocks1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/40oldtimer19/MinnKota PD/Blocks2.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/40oldtimer19/MinnKota PD/Grinding1.jpg

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I grinded down those spots on the bottom of the steering motor with a dremel, and it is so much better now. Now my troller is pretty near perfect. I would highly recomend any of the methods that silvertip described to anyone who has the same problem I did.

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Looks like you need to remove the pivot pin to get to them? Mosquitos ran me off before I could get a closer look. LOL

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Get to what? The blocks or the bosses that need grinding? Neither requires disassembly if you are patient. Remove the side covers to get to the blocks and use a box cutter to trim the top of the block. Use a die grinder (electric or air) to do the grinding. You may not need to do both operations so do one at a time and see what happens.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Didn't think of box cutters. This age thing stinks but I guess it beats the alternative.

Mine always seemed hard to deploy. The more that I've used mine the better I've gotten. I found the "sweet spot" on the torpedo and now exert very little effort to deploy. My fiance and my brother both strain like they're pushing a mountain.

My recommendation: Keep trying to find that "sweet spot"

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Good info, Silvertip! Definite bookmark material......;)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I've done 2 so far according to Silvertip's directions. What a difference 1/16 in makes. Thanks again!

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bring this old thread back for some help. Silvertip can you re-post the links you had on this thread. For some reason they come up as an error for me. If they still work then I will try looking at them from another source. Thanks, Dodger123

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
I could use the visual also, if you still have them. Thanks