Navman Tracker GPS???

studlymandingo

Commander
I just purchased the Navman Tracker TFT 5500 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new unit. I am hoping it is a vast upgrade from my Garmin that was 11 years old when it $#!+ the bed. Has anyone had any experience with this unit? I also bought the Standard Horizon Intrepid GX1270S VHF radio that integrates GPS with the digital locater signal; does anyone know if the GPS function of the Navman will connect with the Standard Horizon VHF?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Navman Tracker GPS???

Well I got both units today and am going to install them this evening. I also picked up a fuel flow sensor for the Navman which will tell me my fuel usage on the Navman display unit. Hope to have it all up and ready to rock by boating time tomorrow morning!

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Navman Tracker GPS???

Installed the GPS, powered it up, and it couldn't find any satellites :%

I went through the manual, front to back, trying to troubleshoot the problem. I was completely devastated! The new color GPS I had been waiting for was a dud! Crap!!! I wrote the seller to see what they would do about it; I was still disheartened, a new toy in time for the weekend!!! Is there no justice left in this world??? I began to examine the unit, fairly simple construction; I have a little electrical and electronic knowledge. Should I look inside this magic box to see what secrets it held? The warning in the manual states there are no user serviceable parts within, were they trying to throw me off, get me to send this thing off to some undisclosed remote location, then charge me twice what the unit is worth for a repair?

I decided to take a peek, I got out my trusty mini-torx driver (the one I bought to replace a few screens on some friends cell phones) and proceeded to remove the screws that held this machine together. Once opened, I quickly spied the trouble, the antenna wire was not properly soldered to the circuit board. I promptly brought forth the mighty Mini Bernz-O-Matic soldering torch and made quick work of the gap. I proceeded to reassemble the unit, many of its mysteries revealed now to me. I took her outside to join it with its cables; lo-and-behold, she immediately began to register the satellites that were making their way across the sky!!!

Tomorrow morning, see how well she works, check out the fuel-flow sensor, and see if it ties in with the VHF the way I hope it does!!!

I'll keep you all posted as to how well the Navman 5500 performs.