Tracking float side issue for bilge pump

gergAlicious

Seaman
My bilge pump works with the dash switch. So that side is fine.

The float does not operate it however. I have verified the switch at the float is good. I also have 12VDC going into the switch.

I disconnect the float wires @ harness and jumper the leads and nothing happens - jumping towards boat as switch would do.

I expect this is an accurate example of my wiring as I DO NOT have a three way switch at the dash.

fetch

My only suspicion is that 12V from the float switch is not making it back to the splice / union as depicted above. 12V from float and 12V from switch connected just above the pump in that diagram.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like you are on the right track, baring any deviations from the wiring, or if it has been altered by a previous owner, etc.

You should see voltage and a physical connection of the wires from the switch and the float (red circle below). Additionally, when the float switch is activated, you should see voltage back at the instrument panel (purple circle). If those things don't ceck out, then perhaps the wiring is different (and wrong). :)

image_235263.jpg

gergAlicious

Seaman
Thanks Ted!

I did operate the float switch a few moments ago and did not notice the switch light up (as I believe it would) with the back flow of that voltage. But, I will put a meter on it next and verify.

Thanks!!!

gergAlicious

Seaman
I got it sorted. Man this boat has some wiring. I was almost at my wits end and back on the control box with the main battery disconnect was what I presume to be a pair of interrupt or circuit breakers. One was radio memory and the other was Auto Bilge. Both wires on the back of the bilge and one for the radio were loose. Boat is 14 years old, and I recently had the control box pulled off the partition to pull the engine. Maybe I torqued the wires twisting the box and caused it.

Anyway, under the dash is another box wit several of these same type breakers? Rubber tips that you can mash, but there is nothing to push behind them. I removed one of the rubber screw tops and saw a white button recessed behind it. I suppose on a circuit overload the white button would pop out? And I would push it back in to reset?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I removed one of the rubber screw tops and saw a white button recessed behind it. I suppose on a circuit overload the white button would pop out? And I would push it back in to reset?

You got it.