Tachometer Setting for Mercury 60 HP 4 Stroke

ratsb

Recruit
Just put a new used engine on my boat. 2007 mercury 60 Hp 4 Stroke 1C063469. I also put on a used tachometer which I was told was a mercury Tachometer. What should the cyl pulses be set at.. I was told by the guy I got the tachometer to put it to 2p 4c which it is set at in the picture. Something is wrong because at idle the engine is running 4.5k and when I have just enough speed to get on plane, it is pegged out way past the 7. I read that the operating range should be around 5k and not to exceed 6K.

I also read somewhere that 4 stroke engines should be set at 6 pulses. I am 30-45 minutes from the water so I would like to have it correct and don't want to run the engine if it is turning too fast.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The guide I found says all Merc 4 strokes above 9.9 hp are 12 pole and the switch goes in the 6P position.

ratsb

Recruit
OK thanks, that is what I read, but wanted to make sure, as the guy I got it from said the way I had it in the pictures. When I switched, at idle it is now about 1K. Thanks for the response.