66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 1999 trophy w /cuddy ,walk around 21ft 125hp mercury
I was wondering how to install another battery because its only set up for one
Any help would be great
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with add a battery, and what is the second bat going to be used for?

Also install a battery switch or relay so it can be used to combine the bat's for starting if needed

Two Bat one switch and ACR.jpg

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With the battery switch, absolutely be sure to turn the switch to the OFF position after turning off engine. Otherwise, you will wind up with dead batteries. A guy at our dry storage forgot to put his switch in OFF and had the boat put on the storage rack. I was there when he came to take the boat out and it wouldn't start. He told me he accidentally left the switch on when he went home.

66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
I was going to to use the extra battery for accessories like fish finder ect. I just don't where to install it at ever thing is enclosed except where the main battery is . But no room there I was wondering why there isn't a place for two batterys.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
With the battery switch, absolutely be sure to turn the switch to the OFF position after turning off engine. Otherwise, you will wind up with dead batteries. A guy at our dry storage forgot to put his switch in OFF and had the boat put on the storage rack. I was there when he came to take the boat out and it wouldn't start. He told me he accidentally left the switch on when he went home.
Leaving the switch “?on? should not cause problems unless you have issues down stream or wired accessories to your starting battery.

Leaving it on ?both”? except when starting is a problem waiting to happen

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What other accessories are you running? A locator is not a high current draw item and will not drain the starting battery in a days worth of fishing. Unless you have other high current draw items (killer stereo for example) the second battery isn't even needed. Keep the engine tuned, know how to start it, have a good starting battery and go fishing.