Mysterious Wiring 1984 Mercury 50

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I?ve been helping a young friend getting his older 1984/85 (gold stripe) Merc 50 Going again after sitting for some time.

I?ve rebuild carbs, new impeller, lower end oil, replaced choke solenoid, repaired a few broke out lower co areas with new fin silicone and small pop rivets to stop water from entering engine compartment. Completely re and re tiller handle assembly oh yes and I?ve fabbed up a choke plunger that I?m actually quite proud of and now as close as I am to firing this motor for the first time, I have a wiring issue. Every day is getting colder up here in Ontario and my shops not heated and I?d love to get it done and gone.

I?ve looked extensively online for the exact harness for this 4 cylinder and nothing exactly matches. One of the biggest things is I have no wire for the positive post on the Choke Solenoid. Diagrams I?ve seen show a yellow with black tracer and the longest one I have on this engine is running to I think might be a resistor. Serial for this motor is an oddball which is A133684. I?ll have to see if I can post some photos I?ve taken to help give better idea.

Thank you very much.

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
What is this terminal block used for. One side is attached to basic ground and then wire/black goes to screw that goes nowhere and why I wondered if it could be some type resistor.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Now this yellow black is only one long enough that now run to starter Solenoid amd wondered if it could be for the Choke Solenoid

Attachments

• IMG_4821(1).JPG
    IMG_4821(1).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
those photos are not showing up here.

upload them directly to iboats. don't host them on your computer or photo bucket, as photo bucket will not allow the link to work. photo bucket makes you pay for that now

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Hi and thanks Roscoe, thoughtful Photobucket was kind enough to let me go to all the work to upload then copy links over to iboatsvlast night and they appeared just fine until I checked iboats this morning and sure even PB pulled a fast one but hey hey only want $400/yr to host our photo imagining.

Had to resize but looks like it worked.

Tnx again.

Last edited:

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
This is how the rectifier is/was hooked up, red to center, yellow on one terminal and then yellow and also a grey wire to other side. I'd be ok if I could just source proper wiring diagram for this outboard haha.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0