Aerator switch question.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1990 sea nymph fish & ski. Since Mi. winter has set in I'm thinking about my repairs as soon as the cover comes off in spring. It has two very small live wells on either side of the open bow. The Aerator 3 way switch on dash reads "auto" and "man" there is only one pump , I believe, for them. I also believe they probably fill at the same time. Can anyone please tell me how this system works. I'm guessing all winter but don't want to. I'm confused over the auto & man. too? Thanks, Davey

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Auto runs thru a timer, manual goes on all the time.

The rest of the system is simple plumbing. Pull plug from one hole, put in other and it fills

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THX Scott, Where is the timer? Is it in the pump itself , switch or wiring. I thought of this possibility but cant see the advantage , I like to keep it simple. Usually when I get a new old boat I usually have to replace all the pumps. That's why I'm asking all these questions. Davey

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The timer is usually in the switch assembly.

People use the auto function to conserve battery power. Not a fan of aerators in general

Last edited:

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like a livewell in case I decide I don't want to keep my catch but ive never felt it necessary to have one come on without just switching it one. If you cant remember to aereate the catch meyby a fisherman should have some trusted supervision. The whole idea is just strange to me. Thanks for the help on figuring it out .I can see me putting in an on off switch. Davey

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I like a livewell in case I decide I don't want to keep my catch but ive never felt it necessary to have one come on without just switching it one. If you cant remember to aereate the catch meyby a fisherman should have some trusted supervision. The whole idea is just strange to me. Thanks for the help on figuring it out .I can see me putting in an on off switch. Davey

You already have an ON/OFF switch. Use the MAN settting. MAN turns the pump on. Center is OFF = turns the pump off. The way this switch is used is you set the switch to MAN and let the wells fill. Then switch to AUTO. The pump runs for about three minutes running fresh waster through the wells and out the overflow. It then shuts off for about 10 minutes and the cycle repeats. Very simple and effective system.