Panther PTT only goes down!

emarshbuck

Seaman
long story short....aftermarket PTT (Panther) will go down, but not up. Had a lot of wires break and rewired almost the entire boat. I have a Tohatsu 25HP NFS EP. 3 Wires to to PTT, light blue, pink, red. Back at the switch, my neighbor jumpered the light blue and red and it worked fine until just a couple of days ago. Pink wire still coming out of the original connector from the switch.

thoughts

thx

ed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved this into Electrical cuz a Panther TnT unit is not hydraulic and it isn't part of a Tohatsu OB. Hoping for hits on the subject and changed the title too.

pvanv

Admiral
Sounds like wiring is still an issue. Break out the voltmeter and ohm meter and have at it.

emarshbuck

Seaman
ok, sorry for the delay.....I know I have power to the switch as it will move the PTT down....
I have a light blue, pink, and red wire going to the switch...both light blue and pink have continuity, and both measure 10ohms.

When I press the "up" button I hear a click in the CDI, but the motor does not raise....

thoughts?

thx

cadet ed

emarshbuck

Seaman
ga_boater...I have this owner's installation guide...problem is, the guy who installed it did not use the relay control.....he wired it into the existing feeds so as to enable both the push button switch as well as the switch on the engine.....but I will try the jumper wire you mentioned...that sounds promising!

thx

ed

GA_Boater

If the PO didn't use the relays, the switch or wiring has burned out. The switch and switch wiring can't handle the current, which is why relays are used.

Did you get the relay control box with the boat? The jumpering is done where the switch wires connect to the relay box. No box means you can't follow the guide.

emarshbuck

Seaman
The relay control box came with the Panther, but the installer didn't use it...but it worked for a while the way he had it....I'm going to take it back to him this week for some carb work....I'll ask him to make sure it's connected properly....I'll even put the control box in the boat for him....are you saying that without the relay box the switch will burn out, or just not be jumpered correctly?

thx

GA_Boater

The switch and wiring can burn out. The switch can't handle the current and the relays are used to connect the high current to the trim motor.

Look at the wire size from the switch and the two wires into the TnT unit. The wires to the unit are probably much larger because the current draw is higher.

emarshbuck

Seaman
OK, I reversed the blue & pink wires....PTT still won't go up....when I push the up switch, I hear a click in the CD unit. I have voltage to both the blue/pink wires....local Tohatsu dealer thinks the motor might be bad...I've only had it for a year....

thoughts/ideas?

thx

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the motor turns to go down, it should turn to go up. There is only one winding if the motor has 2 wires like the instructions suggest, the relays just reverse the polarity. What is clicking? If the guy bypassed the relay box I can't understand what is clicking. If you can put some pictures up showing the overall setup at the motor from a foot or so back.

Check the motor with a battery or jump box. Un plug the 2 wire cable with the motor wires and touch them to your 12v source, the motor should go one way. Reverse the wires and touch them again, it should go the other way.

You mentioned the buttons on the motor. Did the motor have T/T from the factory? I thought maybe that burned up and they used the Panther with the motor relays.

There needs to be a relay system, trying to run it through just the switches is asking for trouble. If someone did that and is presenting themselves as a competent tech, I'd be careful with that guy.

Pics would help.

emarshbuck

Seaman
Whoa! Next door neighbor, a boater for 40 years, came by, asked a few questions. We put the relay into the wiring setup, and (drum roll) ptt goes up & down! I will deal with my boat "mechanic" later......

thanks to all! this has been a loooonnng journey....should be back in the water after a small carb adjustment!

what a great idea this forum !

Last edited: