Circuit Breaker for Minn Kota trolling motor

Renegade19sc

Recruit
I am in the process of putting a new ultrex on my boat. My question is it calls for a circuit breaker on the batteries. The type of trolling motor plug I have is a Marinco plug that makes it 24 volts at the plug not at the battery. So do I need a circuit breaker for each battery and what amp?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting questions. Yes, you would need a circuit breaker to protect each positive wire running to the plug.. I'm not familiar with the plug you are describing, so maybe this is the way it's done? IDK. But the first thing that comes to mind is why would anyone run double the amount of wiring from the batteries to the plug, when you can just create 24 volts at the batteries and just run two wires? Can't wait for the experienced trolling motor experts opinions.
A lot going on here. The higher (24) volts would draw less amperage than the lower 12 volts. So if you started with 24 volts at the batteries, your wires and your one circuit breaker would be smaller.
As far as the size of the circuit breaker, it all depends on the size and length of the wire which is determined by the amperage draw of the motor. I say length is important too because the longer the run, the more resistance and voltage drop which might require a larger diameter wire. There are formulas for this. Remember, the circuit breaker protects the wire from burning up if too much amperage is drawn in relation to the wire size.
You need to give the experts more information. Please list the amperage draw of the motor and the distance from the batteries to the motor.
OK, waiting for the experts.....

Renegade19sc

Recruit
I agree with you as far as the amount of wire. I am replacing a trolling motor that is already on the boat and the outlet was done there along with the wiring. Minn Kota is recommending 60 amp circuit breaker if the batteries were linked in series at the battery for the one hot wire. The trolling motor is an 80lb thrust. As far as why anyone would run a plug of this type some trolling motors have it to where they are 12/24 both, therefore, a 12-volt wire is needed along with the 24.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with you as far as the amount of wire. I am replacing a trolling motor that is already on the boat and the outlet was done there along with the wiring. Minn Kota is recommending 60 amp circuit breaker if the batteries were linked in series at the battery for the one hot wire. The trolling motor is an 80lb thrust. As far as why anyone would run a plug of this type some trolling motors have it to where they are 12/24 both, therefore, a 12-volt wire is needed along with the 24.

Ah ha! I get the double wiring explanation for the outlet. It's set up for either 12V or 24V.
So, Minn Kota is stating 60 amp breaker.
I don't know if you'll be able to view this pdf from Minn Kota's web site showing wiring, amps, etc....

fishrdan

Admiral
The Marinco 12/24 plug/receptacle are pretty versatile, allow charging the 12V batteries via a single charger from a 12V jumpered plug, 12 or 24V trolling motors, I even run high power fishing lights off them. I have an I/O with a high amp alternator, and with the plugs I can charge the trolling batts while on the water, (takes hours)...

Yes breakers on each batteries positive connection, 60 amp if that's recommended. I'm using inexpensive 50 amp breakers on my 70# MK and haven't popped them, or noticed a lack of performance from the TM, $5 vs $30+. Be sure to use manual reset breakers - NOT automatic reset.

What TM was on the boat before, make, voltage and thrust? Is the wiring up to snuff (heavy enough) to run your new TM. Google "blue seas dc wire calculator", it will tell you what size of wire is needed by inputting: amps power draw, voltage and TOTAL length of wire runs (4). I use 3% voltage drop in the calculator.

Renegade19sc

Recruit
The old TM is a Johnson/Evinrude OMC brand I think it is a 55 lb thrust not sure. The wiring looks to be in good condition on it.