Install Start/Stop button

Fikus

Cadet
Hi. I want to put start stop button instead of the key, anyone did it ? Need advice about what brand to buy looked on google nothing about boats.Thx!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Curious - What's wrong with using a key?

You will need a starter button, a stop/run switch and probably a choke or primer switch. What motor is on the back?

Fikus

Cadet
With the key , how tight im closing the nut its always turns after couple times

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Got a photo? There is probably a way to tighten the switch instead of dumping it.

Forget the choke/primer stuff I mentioned. Stop/run and starter button is what you need if the key switch can't be tightened.

Fikus

Cadet
No Title

Can use from motorcycle :)

Attachments

• photo280668.jpeg
    photo280668.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On the back of your existing key switch will be a yellow/red wire that fires the start solenoid when you roll the key to Start.
Pull power from a switched circuit (purple) into whatever push button you want to use. Splice the switch's output into the yellow/red circuit on the back of your key switch. That will fire the solenoid exactly the same way the key switch does.
Be sure to wire it in parallel or you'll need to use both to start !

The Cole Hersee pushbuttons (M490, M626) work well for that and you can get them with a boot.
There's not much current going through it so you can use just about anything as long as it's robust enough to be on a boat.
Your start-in-gear protection and lanyard switch won't see any difference.

A lot of OEMs (esp Sea Ray) mount the key switch out of the weather and use a start/stop button on the dash (or the control) instead on their SmartCraft boats.

As to the nut on the switch... sikaflex the threads and the top of the switch body.
If you have a thin (brass, aluminum, uncored glass) dash panel, the inner nut might be threaded too far down the barrel, allowing the outer (trim) nut to bottom out before it tightens against the dash.

Fikus

Cadet
So as inderstood, i will need to turn the key to first position and after push button to start, right?

On the back of your existing key switch will be a yellow/red wire that fires the start solenoid when you roll the key to Start.
Pull power from a switched circuit (purple) into whatever push button you want to use. Splice the switch's output into the yellow/red circuit on the back of your key switch. That will fire the solenoid exactly the same way the key switch does.
Be sure to wire it in parallel or you'll need to use both to start !

The Cole Hersee pushbuttons (M490, M626) work well for that and you can get them with a boot.
There's not much current going through it so you can use just about anything as long as it's robust enough to be on a boat.
Your start-in-gear protection and lanyard switch won't see any difference.

A lot of OEMs (esp Sea Ray) mount the key switch out of the weather and use a start/stop button on the dash (or the control) instead on their SmartCraft boats.

As to the nut on the switch... sikaflex the threads and the top of the switch body.
If you have a thin (brass, aluminum, uncored glass) dash panel, the inner nut might be threaded too far down the barrel, allowing the outer (trim) nut to bottom out before it tightens against the dash.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, the key will just be a switch that turns on the main power relay and wakes up the ECM.
The button just runs the starter once everything else is ready to start.
Obviously you wouldn't want to put it somewhere it might accidentally get pressed while the engine's running.
Missile switches are great for that but you have to like the look of them :)

What engine have you got ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here are the standard wire colors
BlackGroundNegative / Neutral Main Return
Blue-StripeTilt up and or trim outTilt and or trim circuits
BrownAlternator Charge LightGenerator Terminal or Alternator Auxiliary Terminal to Regulator
Generator ArmatureGenerator Armature to Regulator
PumpsCircuit Breaker or Switch to Pumps
Brown w/YellowBilge BlowersCircuit Breaker or Switch to Blower
Dark BlueCabin & InstrumentCircuit Breaker or Switch to Lights
Green or Green w/Yellow StripeBonding SystemGrounding Wires (if insulated)
Green StripeTilt down and/or trim inTilt and or trim circuits
GreyNavigation LightsCircuit Breaker or Switch to Lights
TachometerTachometer Sender to Gauge
Lt. BlueOil PressureOil Pressure Sender to Gauge
OrangeAccessory FeedAmmeter to Alternator or Generator
Common FeedDistribution Panel to Accessory Switch
FeedAccessory Circuit Breakers or Switches
PinkFuel GaugeFuel Gauge Sender to Gauge
PurpleIgnitionIgnition Switch to Coil & Electrical Instrument
Instrument FeedDistribution Panel Electrical Instruments
RedInstrument FeedDistribution Panel to Electrical Instruments
Power FeedsPositive Main Power (particularly un-fused)
TanWater temperatureWater temperature sender to gauge
YellowGenerator FieldGenerator to Regulator Field Terminal
GroundNegative / Neutral Main Return
Yellow w/RedStarting CircuitStarting Switch to Solenoid

COLOR ITEM USE

Fikus

Cadet
Mercury inboard

Yes, the key will just be a switch that turns on the main power relay and wakes up the ECM.
The button just runs the starter once everything else is ready to start.
Obviously you wouldn't want to put it somewhere it might accidentally get pressed while the engine's running.
Missile switches are great for that but you have to like the look of them :)

What engine have you got ?

Bondo

Staff member
Mercury inboard

Ayuh,.... Mercury builds Outboards,...

Mercruiser builds inboards, 'n I/Os,.... literally 100s of 'em,....

For quality help, ya gotta be more specific,.... includin' the vintage,....

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bondo, it doesn't really matter much. I'm just curious, otherwise I would have asked that question right off the top.
I've assumed he meant sterndrive, not inboard...though again, it doesn't really matter.
Merc has their start circuits pretty well standardized, especially at the dash.

Scott, that's a great resource: I keep a chart like that on the back of a clipboard along with with the ampacity charts from BlueSea.
One caveat though: ABYC compliance is voluntary for OEMs, so there will always be exceptions.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If that's one of those eBay auto panels, I wouldn't expect the switches to last very long in a boat. Fortunately, the hole sizes should be standard.
Looks good though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt use anything other than Carling Tech or Otto switches with the appropriate IP68S rating for a boat.

Fikus

Cadet
No Title

Final result

Attachments

• photo281335.jpg
    photo281335.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281336.jpg
    photo281336.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I like that for racing use only text on there - thanks for the pic of your finished product

I don't like key start either - keep us updated on how your conversion works out