Installing kill switch on 1984 Mercury 150hp - Two kill wires coming from ingition

NeBassKa

Recruit
I'm trying to install a kill switch on my boat that has a 1984 Mercury 150hp o/b motor. I took the throttle assembly apart and there are two black/yellow wires connected to same terminal on the ignition. I'm not sure which one to splice into to install the kill switch. Any advice?

alldodge

Staff member
You need to ground the Blk/Yel wire when the kill switch is pulled. Note the kill switch on this control has one Black and one Blk/Yel wire. With lanyard attached there will be no connection between the two wires. The on below is from an Rude but connection will be the same

Johnson Evinrude wiring.jpg

NeBassKa

Recruit
Thanks AllDodge! Yep, this did the trick. I ran a wire from the BLK/YLW connection to the kill switch, then the other side to the BLK ground connector. One thing though... it didn't work on the M/M connectors on the switch. When I did, it wouldn't start. So I tried connecting to the C/C connectors. Works perfect! Thanks for the great diagram and advice!

I'm a new owner of an older bass boat. Bought it to use for my son's high school bass club. So I'm new at all this... lol. Really appreciate the guidance!

alldodge

Staff member
That doesn't sound right, but so long as the motor dies when the lanyard is pulled you should be good.