Any one has experience using a car jump starter to start a Johnson 90 hp cross v4

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Does any one have experience using a car jump starter to start a battery for Johnson 90 hp cross v4?

Looking to buy a jump starter to start my outboard? Is 500 amps enough? I know I need minimum of 360 CCA to start my outboard

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
So you have no battery now? Jump boxes can start anything with a dead battery, they are net designed to leave hooked up while running, it wrecks the jumpbox. If you need a battery, just buy a battery. If you need a jump box for other stuff, buy that later on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a jump box is intended to augment a weak battery, not replace a battery.

will it assist your weak battery, yes. can it be used as the sole battery, no

many jump start boxes have two 12 volt, 12ah utility batteries in them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And unless the jump box is kept charged, it will be useless when you actually need it.

Fed

Commander
Buy a pull rope mate, I think I paid around $5 for a genuine OMC one.
Cheap, light as a feather, small enough to put anywhere & they never go flat.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Grub54891 - You guessed correctly. I burned both my batteries down to about 40% last Saturday using my 24 volts wireless 75 pound push Motorguide trolling motor trolled all the way home for 1 to 1.25 hour at top speed. (3 to 4 miles) The voltages were 11.8 and 11.6 after I got home. I have been trickle charging them for the last 4 days. It went up to 11.9 volts from 11.8 v and didn't even get to charge the other one. I think they are both dead. Do you agree?

I decided to buy 3 new batteries. (1 start and.2 deep cycle)

I had 2 marine batteries for my boat. both bought from Advance auto parts. The first one was bought in 2014, group size 31 dual purposes. The second one was bought in 2015, group size 29 HM and deep cycle.

The marine starting battery I picked up today from Advance Auto parts is 24M 500 CCA. I was able to start my Johnson 90 v4 cross flow, and ran the motor for 8 minutes in idle speed. The motor shut off by itself. I tried to start it but unable to start it. I checked the voltage of the new battery after a few cranks. It was down to 12.0 volts??? Crap!!!

If I have the jump starter with me, then I CAN jump start my Johnson 90. If I had it with me at my Saturday trip, then I would have saved my 2 big batteries (almost $200) because I could jump start my Johnson 90 and got home with it instead of running the 24 volts trolling motor.

So, time to buy a jump starter --- Lesson learned!!!!

The new battery came at 12.2 volts (ONLY 60% charged) even after I specifically asked the clerk whether it was fully charged. And he replied YES! ???? I should have insisted asking him to show me 100% charge with a volt meter.

I will bring it back tomorrow and bring my own volt meter with me to check the replacement.

AutoCraft Marine and RV 12-Volt Starting Battery, Group Size 24M, 500 CCA

SPECIFICATIONS
Battery Type:Lead Acid
BCI Group Size:24
Cold Cranking Amperage:500 A
Cranking Amps:625 A
Height:8 11/16 in
Length:10 15/16 in
Maintenance Free:Yes
Reserve Capacity:95 m
Terminal Type:Combination Auto / Stud Terminal
Voltage:12 v
Weight:39 lbs
Width:6 7/8 in

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

are my 2 batteries still alive? I don't think so because I slow charged the first battery and it went from 11.8 to 11.9 volts only. didn't even get to charge the second battery yet.

Attachments

• photo282497.jpg
    photo282497.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
If you had a set of jumper cables you could have attached them to 1 of your trolling motor batteries to jump the outboard.

Or, a jumper pack would've worked to boost the starting battery.

Or, you could have used one of the trolling motor batteries to replace the bad starting battery.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Trickle chargers are just putting a small charge to keep them topped off. I hit them with a smart charger, 10 amps, they charge for a day and they lower the amps as they charge by themselves. Then you can Load test them to see if they are good. A volt meter tests the voltage, a load tester checks the amps remaining. Can't remember the name on my tester right now as it's at work.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Grub54891, thanks again for your detail articulation and explanation to people like me. I had no idea what and how I can charge these 2 half dead batteries to bring them back to life other than buying new ones. I will try charging them with 10 amps and report back the results. You may have saved me $200 and from my wife complaining about my expensive hobbie. Lol

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a trickle charger is for maintaining a battery, while it may bring a battery to full charge, it will take a month or more. to charge a battery, you need a real battery charger that will dump 10 amps or more into the battery like Grub stated.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
ok, I started charging 1.battery using 10amp and it is about 8 hours now still 11.68 from 11.6 volts. How long should it take to bring it to 90% 12.5 volts?

Fed

Commander
Take the battery & a set of jumper leads out to your car.
Start the car and connect the boat battery to the car battery, positive to positive then negative to negative.
Let the car run for at least half an hour.
Disconnect negatives then positives and then put the battery back on the charger.
Give it 8 hours on the charger then measure the Voltage.

What battery charger are you using?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Take the battery & a set of jumper leads out to your car.
Start the car and connect the boat battery to the car battery, positive to positive then negative to negative.
Let the car run for at least half an hour.
Disconnect negatives then positives and then put the battery back on the charger.
Give it 8 hours on the charger then measure the Voltage.

What battery charger are you using?

Sears battery charger and engine starter - see picture

Attachments

• photo282497.jpg
    photo282497.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Great news - the dual purpose battery is alive after charging at 10 amp for overnight. Reads 13 volts. Charging the deep cycle second battery now. 11.68 volts now

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Glad it's working. Looks like you just needed to learn a Bot about proper charging. I have a friend who left his camper at my house for a week, I decided to be a nice guy and charge the batteries he used for lighting when camping. He picket it up and used it for a couple weeks, then asked me what I did to hos batteries? I said I just charged them overnight. Turns put he would charge them for an hour before heading out, by end of summer they were shot, and he would buy new ones. 3 years later, they were still good when charged properly.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Took the deep cycle battery to advance auto parts store today for testing. Clerk told me still good. Yes, I just have to charge it. Good both batteries are good. Probably still need to buy a designated starting battery. Will wait for sale, thanks guys really appreciate your help.