Gauge problems

JH Rinker

Recruit
Hello everyone from a new poster. Looking for help with faulty Faria analog instruments. Boat is 2012 Rinker 186OB bought new, now with 85 hrs on tach.
Fuel gauge has been useless since new. Reads F from full tank down to abbout half capacity, lowers reluctantly to 7/8 when tank (30 gal) takes 15 gal to fill (visually confirmed); reads 3/4 now 4 1/2 hrs into 6 hr endurance. Never seen the needle go below that despitr having to add 20 gal. Needle reading does move very slightly with bow position so it seems both snder and gauge are working to some degree but calibration is all bollixed up. Had it to dealer 4 times (3 hr trailering). Swears everything works fine but replaced both sender & gauge. Now well out of warranty. Troubleshooting videos on you-tube involve lots of ohm-metering behind the dash - which I'm not up for. Anyone have some quicker / simpler suggestions? I would like to just try hooking up a new, digital gauge to the existing sender. How do you match the snder output to the gauge and calibrate it?

Other inop instrument is the speedometer, which no one really needs, but it should work. I cleaned out the pitot orifice and blew air through the passage in the drive unit. That's clear. Tried blowing into the tube leading to the instrument but got no reading. Don't want to over pressurize it with compressed air. How much pressure should it take to get the needle off the peg? Any advice on fixing that?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Remove the Pink wire from the fuel gauge. Check for 12V on the purple wire with the key ON.
With key ON and Pink wire removed the fuel gauge should read Empty.

Now jump from the Black ground wire on the gauge to the sender connection where the Pink wire was removed, the gauge should peg Full.

If Gauge is working correctly reconnect Pink wire.
Go to sender and remove Pink wire, gauge should show Empty, and if grounded should show Full