Motorguide 743 trolling motor wiring

Kdwellssr

Cadet
On the plug there are three wires. What do these wire go to for a 12volt hookup. My older trolling motor only has two wires. One positive and one negative. If the third wire is to wire for 24volts.. which wires do I hook up to run on 12 volt. I do not know if this trolling motor is 12/24 wiring. It is now in my old bass boat and it runs on one battery.

alldodge

Staff member
There should only be two wires going to the motor, and I think the plug your talking about is the main connection. The motor it self can be powered by 12 or 24V, and gets more power using 24V. If this is the case then it would be wired as shown

12-24Vwiring 3 prong.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the control for the motor has a switch on the side or top that says 12V and 24V thats the selector switch that determines the voltage. Since you have only one battery, you are forced to run the motor on 12 volts so set the selector to 12 and wire ONLY the orange and black wires to the battery. But please answer whether your MOTOR cable has two or three wires. If it has only two the motor can be ONLY 12 volts or ONLY 24 volts. If it has three wires then it is a combination 12 OR 24 volt unit. You need two batteries for 24 volt operation.