MOTORGUIDE TROLLING MOTOR ISSUE

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a MotorGuide 43 thrust trolling I can't figure out what going on with it...It ran fine then I heard a squall, then it died like it was like it wasn't getting power. I pull the power plug and put it in, each time I unplugged the plug and re plug it runs for 10 sec and die's....I pulled the plug female and male and cleaned both still the same...I pulled the boat out of the water ran the motor and it ran fine on all speeds, no squalling nothing...The only thing I can think of is, under a load it won't run right.....But what would make a trolling motor not run correctly under a load....

Thanks Mav

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe pull the prop and look for fishing line wrapped on the shaft.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Possible transmission failure ,it happens,but rarely.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Possible transmission failure ,it happens,but rarely.
Transmission failure on a trolling motor???????????????? It's a motor with a prop on the end of the motor shaft (e.g., direct drive -- hence no transmission)

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Transmission failure on a trolling motor???????????????? It's a motor with a prop on the end of the motor shaft (e.g., direct drive -- hence no transmission)
Nope, friend of mine had his go out, up the creek made it back to the landing and took it to his local shop .The mechanic took a look ,checked it out and said the tranny was shot.He happened to have a used one , different color ,but my friend said put it on ,color doesn't matter. I had never known about a tranny in a trolling motor either,but it makes sense to have gear reduction to give the motor the torque to push a boat . Maybe "transmission" is a misuse of the word.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm. I've been on this planet for 78 years and although I've certainly not seen them all, I've had a bunch of trollers and all have been direct drive. There have been folks (generally engineering students that haven't quite figured out that a flashlight battery cannot power a submarine) so they try to use a tiny motor driving a gear train to try and spin a big prop only to find that even that small motor under load sucks a lot of power. On the other hand, lots of bow mount and even some stern mount tiller motors have gear trains in them but those gear trains are for steering, not propulsion. I'd like to know what kind of troller that was IF it indeed had a propulsion gear train.

fishrdan

Admiral
Transmission?... About the only thing I would relate that to would be the gear reduction steering housing, like a MK PowerDrive has. Maybe the rack and pinion steering of a foot controlled bow mount TM. But both of those deal with steering and not the motor running.

For the OP, I'm guessing you have bushing/bearing issues in the motor. Disassemble the motor and see what parts you'll need to repair, bushing may have run dry or bearing shot. Get a seal kit (cheap) as you don't want to put it back together with old seals.