What type of battery is this?

Seedamin

Cadet
photo279065.jpg photo279066.jpg photo279065.jpg photo279065.jpg Greetings everyone - I bought a small fishing boat a couple months ago. The battery in the pictures came with the boat and is connected to the trolling motor. Looking at the labeling, I am unable to determine the type of battery and voltage. Guessing 24v but wanted to be sure on the type and voltage. I am unable to find this battery on the Cabella's website. Apologies for the picture quality, I had to reduce the size before the site would allow me to upload. Thanks in advance for your time!

Seedamin

Cadet
Thank you, as you can probably guess this is my first boat and still trying to learn as much as I can. At the moment, I will have to take this battery out of the boat to charge and eventually I would like to set it up to charge on its own. I have read that's it's not a good idea to hook these up to the motor due to the charging requirements. I have seen some recommending solar trickle chargers. Wondered what most folks do in this predicament? Thanks again!

alldodge

Staff member
Nothing wrong with keeping it hooked up to the trolling motor. Need a good 3 stage charger connected to charge and maintain the bat. Solar chargers are ok to keep a fully charged bat up, but none I've seen will do bulk charging

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since trolling motor batteries tend to be deeply discharged, you should not rely on the engine to charge it. On a smaller engine there is likely less than a 12 amp charging system If you therefore sucked just 36 amps out of the battery you would need to run wide open for over three hours to fully charge it. And leaving the battery in a discharged state is a good way to kill it. You charge that battery immediately after each use. Not just before you leave. And just so you know the biggest 12 volt trollers are 50 - 55# thrust and can pull about 45 amps under worse case conditions. Do the math from there.

Seedamin

Cadet
Thanks Silvertip - I pull it out everytime I use the trolling motor and charge it up. I was just looking for a less manual method since the storage facility does not have power available. It's not a huge deal to pull it out but was looking for a way to save my back a little. Thanks again for the feedback!