Should I run this through the fuse block?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got this switch panel for my old Starcraft. It also has a volt meter and two USB ports.
The hot lead goes into the round part, and the switches are daisy-chained. But each switch has a hot leg to power whatever 12V item is run to it.
Installed it today and it works fine, but I'm wondering...I run every 12V item and accessory through my fuse block, or with an inline fuse or circuit breaker.
Should I run this panel through my fuse block? And if so, what size fuse should I use? (It came from overseas with no helpful information included.)

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W3D6VV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4T9vHtS.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If it is currently on an unprotected circuit, it needs to be. Either add an in-line fuse or use an empty spot on the fuse block. Fuse size needs to be slightly larger than the total amperage of whatever the devices are fed by it.

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is currently on an unprotected circuit, it needs to be. Either add an in-line fuse or use an empty spot on the fuse block. Fuse size needs to be slightly larger than the total amperage of whatever the devices are fed by it.

Thanks for the reply, but here's where I'm stuck: Running it through the fuse block is fine, I have the open spaces. But because this is a USB port, wouldn't the amps being drawn differ depending on the device plugged in? Like all manner of cellphones and tablets and cameras, etc.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Size the fuse according to the wire size feeding the switches and the ampere rating of the switches.
For example, if the switches were rated at 30 amps, then I would use a 10 gauge wire to feed the switches with a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker.
14 gauge wire - 15 amp
12 gauge wire - 20 amp
10 gauge wire - 30 amp
8 gauge wire - 40 amp
6 gauge wire - 50 amp

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Think about your house. Aren't most outlets protected with a 15 amp breaker or fuse? Yet you plug in a lamp that draws only a couple amps. Fuses protect the circuit -- they are not protection for the devices on them. If one of your switched devices drew more current than the breaker rating that device is toast anyway -- hence protection for the "circuit". Back again to your house, there is a main breaker or fuse (typically 100 or in newer homes 200 amps). If every circuit in your home was loaded to capacity, that main breaker would pop to protect the panel from melt-down. Do you really think anything that is USB powered will trip a five amp fuse? But anything you wire to those switches will draw at least a couple amps and possibly up to 5 or 10 amps. Hence you need a a fuse that protects the smallest gauge wire feeding that panel -- not what you connect to it.

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Size the fuse according to the wire size feeding the switches and the ampere rating of the switches.
For example, if the switches were rated at 30 amps, then I would use a 10 gauge wire to feed the switches with a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker.
14 gauge wire - 15 amp
12 gauge wire - 20 amp
10 gauge wire - 30 amp
8 gauge wire - 40 amp
6 gauge wire - 50 amp

Thanks.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
One more thing to consider...use the correct marine rated wire. It is not the same as house wiring. Marine wire is tinned throughout its entire length.