Trolling Motor Recommendations

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey All!

​So, I have a boat that with the wonderful help of the other forum members I've gotten running well and have had the pleasure of taking out a few times now..
​We mainly use it for fishing..

​Well, we've anchored a time or two, but really like drifting with the wind/current along the lake... That however means we spend at least half our time using the paddles we have onboard to reposition, back off from shore, or get closer to shore... All depending on what the wind, currents, and other boat wakes do to us...

​We were out today, and there was a bit of wind, and a bunch of traffic.. 3 hours on the water, and about 1.5 hours of fishing.. Had to keep putting down the rod, to pick up the oar and reposition... LOL.. (Still had a blast.. don't get me wrong.. hehe)

​Even with one of the pontoons that first saw us paddling and asked if we needed help, he then came around again close by.. He was VERY courteous by the way... Saw we were fishing, and slowed to no wake till past us even though they didn't have to....
I guess we've decided we're done paddling... With that, I've searched around a bit, but didn't find any wonderful answer.. (Hope I didn't miss something in my search.. )

The question is:
​What trolling motor would you folks think would be the best fit for our rig?

​We have a 1967 Cruisers Inc. Camero 1532 (15' 1" LOA) Tri-hull bowrider.
1971 ​Johnson 50 hp outboard as main engine.
Usually just 2 adults fishing with associated gear..
​Local lakes, so water is usually calm with the exception of wakes from other boats..
​Usually fishing anywhere from 2-5 hours at a time..

​Whatever the motor we end up with, it will be run on a dedicated battery, so no other accessories on it, and it will NOT be used on the starting battery for the main engine.

​Thinking I'll need a transom mount, as it's an open bow type and no real spot for a bow mounted motor.. Not sure I want to add a platform for it either as we'll occasionally take folks out for cruising, and not fishing.. Want the room for that.. lol

Would like to be able to control from the helm seat.. (Right seat.. this isn't a center console.. ) but that's not a deal breaker if not available.

​When on the used market... Are there any brands to stay away from or some better than others?

​I've learned a TON about the boat and the main engine thus far, but I am 100% clueless on trolling motors at this time..
​I appreciate in advance any and all input you may have to offer..

Thanks!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
50 to 55# bow mount stern mounts can't easily be made controllable frim the helm. Bow mount would take a bit of fabrication and a quick rekease mount alliws easy removable. You will be much happier with ease of control and much better positioning control.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I have a MinnKota Power Drive V2 bow mount (55#, 12 vdc, wired foot pedal) on my boat. A bow mount would require some type of platform on your tri-hull but can be controlled by a foot pedal from the helm seat. There are wireless versions available which would seem to make use a bit easier. A foot padal is not a perfect thing and will take some getting used to. The fishing season for many folks is coming to a close and that means there will be some guy's looking to upgrade for next season. That should mean there will be more used TM's on the market. Also, deploying and retrieving the motor can be difficult depending on the model of TM. Look at a Fortrex, Power Drive and Terrova (all MinnKota models) to get some ideas

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
See if you can find a TM with remote control. You can sit any place you want and control the direction, thrust and turn on/off.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
FWIW,
I had a remote control on my Power Drive and disconnected it in favor of the foot pedal. The problem for this old fisherman was always that I had to look at the remote to click the right button to control the boat. That may seem a small thing but if you fish alone and windy conditions are a factor the pedal makes it easier.
I can control the boat without looking at the pedal. That does take some practice though. There are so many really nice TM's available it really comes down to how much money you figure is appropriate to spend. The remote option alone on my TM was an additional $400. It must be said that a remote does add some features a foot pedal does not. Such as spot lock and the ability to learn where you've been and return to that spot over an over again. Being new to this it becomes difficult to decide what you really want and need on the water. I hope this helps and doesn't serve to confuse the issue
Jcris

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For your application, a 12v motor will be plenty. Something in the 50lb thrust range is probably good. But, like the others said, you probably won't find a transom mount with anything other than tiller control. You can find factory refurbished Minn Kotas that come with a 1-year warranty for substantially less than a new motor. I got one and as far as I could tell it had never been used. Motor Guide probably sells refurbs too, but I haven't looked.

I have a MinnKota Power Drive V2 bow mount (55#, 12 vdc, wired foot pedal) on my boat. A bow mount would require some type of platform on your tri-hull but can be controlled by a foot pedal from the helm seat. There are wireless versions available which would seem to make use a bit easier. A foot padal is not a perfect thing and will take some getting used to. The fishing season for many folks is coming to a close and that means there will be some guy's looking to upgrade for next season. That should mean there will be more used TM's on the market. Also, deploying and retrieving the motor can be difficult depending on the model of TM. Look at a Fortrex, Power Drive and Terrova (all MinnKota models) to get some ideas

I have the same TM and am happy with it. I normally use the foot pedal, but I got the wireless copilot also and use that sometimes too. I think this trolling motor would be a good choice for jbuote if he's willing to do a bow install. There are also the higher end MK motors that can be remote controlled but they are significantly more expensive.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some great info there, thank you!!

​So consensus is 50-55# thrust, 12V..
​Seems like the bow mount is really what I want... If for no other reason, better positioning and control is what I'm gathering from this..
​I'll have to see what kind of mounting add on I can build for it, so it's removable as well... (Thanks Silvertip!)

​I've already taken a quick look at those MK recommendations from Jcris... Not QUITE as expensive as I thought they might be.. lol
​Was expecting pretty much ANY bow mounted TM to be 1500+, so since not all are, that opens some doors...

I'll keep an eye out for refurbished too..
I like the remote idea from DRS, and of course the foot pedal as well..
​I'll see about one that may have both! lol...

​Once I narrow it down a bit, I'll be back for specific recommendations on a particular model...
​(For instance, if used, I'll ask about how old it is, usage etc....)

​I really appreciate it!!
:joyous:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure that whatever you get, it has a "wired" electrically controlled foot pedal, NOT a cable operated pedal.

Reactions: BTL